What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Consistent colour

andyt_32

Hi I have a photocopied image (attached). I would like to make the dark areas consistently dark - at the moment they're patchy. I've tried using the clone tool but end up with repeat patterns. I just want a consistent 'dark grey' around the womans face rather than a patchy greys. Hope someone can help!

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    912.7 KB · Views: 6

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Hi there.

Since it's just a straightforward black and white image you need, convert the image to grayscale. Then apply a level adjustment layer - move the outermost sliders inwards - left black slider to darken, right white slider to bring out the needed whites on the face. Play around with it to get just the right mix you need.

If needed, convert back to RGB....

There are other ways but I hope this works for you.

andyt_32

Hi thanks very much for your reply! I tried that but unfortunately the blotchiness is still there. The levels only lighten and darken the image rather than giving a consistent grey?

Tom Mann

Guru
Although there are many ways to approach this, the approach suggested by dv8 is most reasonable.

One reason why you didn't get similar results is that you might have adjusted the upper set of three sliders, not the lower set of two sliders in the "Levels" dialog box. Bringing in the upper end sliders will actually increase contrast, whereas bringing in the lower end sliders will lower contrast.

Also, I felt that I was getting too much of a change in the face when making these adjustments, so I prevented this from happening by using a layer mask. So, the attached images show:

1. The layer stack that I used.

layer_stack_shows_masked_levels_adjustment_layer.jpg

2. The mask that I used to prevent the adjustments from affecting the face:

mask.jpg
3. A suitable setting for the sliders in the levels adjustment layer:

sliders_used_in_levels_adjustment_layer.jpg

4. The final result

HTH,

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
Whoops. I forgot to show the final result:

Attachments

• blotchy_photocopied_blacks-tjm01_acr0-ps01a_ProFoto-01b_sRGB_lighter.jpg
    blotchy_photocopied_blacks-tjm01_acr0-ps01a_ProFoto-01b_sRGB_lighter.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 22

andyt_32

Oh super thank you so much! I will try this at work on Monday. Just a quick question about the layer mask - did you draw the layer mask? ie did you paint in the areas you didn't want affected?

Tom Mann

Guru
Oh super thank you so much! I will try this at work on Monday. Just a quick question about the layer mask - did you draw the layer mask? ie did you paint in the areas you didn't want affected?

You're quite welcome. Glad to have helped.

Yes, although there are several ways this could be done, for speed, and since no great accuracy was required, I just quickly painted in the masked areas.

Best regards,

Tom M

andyt_32

You're quite welcome. Glad to have helped.

Yes, although there are several ways this could be done, for speed, and since no great accuracy was required, I just quickly painted in the masked areas.

Best regards,

Tom M

You're a legend thank you so much.

Just one more quick question...

If I wanted to be accurate (which I'd like to be for the finished artwork) what would be the best way of keeping the light areas light on the face? I worry that if I paint in the masked area it will look like a halo around the face? I need to keep the detail like it is on the face and for the dark areas to look naturally and consistently the same tone. It's such a dense image it's really hard to get the balance right. You mentioned in your post there are several ways of doing this?

Sorry to go on but I'm on a tight deadline! ;)

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi. I'm sorry I can't get back to you right now, but I am on location covering an event. I'll try to return to your thread very late tonight.

Tom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi Andy,

Here's another way that you can try. It will give consistent tone in the entire image.
I added a solid color adjustment layer set to black. I set this layers mode to soft light.
I then added a Curves adjustment layer to bring back the highlights.

Screen Shot 2014-09-27 at 8.51.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-09-27 at 8.55.33 AM.png

example_02.jpg