What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to add depth effect?

smidders

I made this using the title editor in premiere, is there an easy way to do this in photoshop. (the black part)
wg5z6dL.png

Two layers with the same image/text on them, top one pink bottom one black move bottom one slightly to give shadow effect.

Hey Smidders, long time no see.

While I understand that Pauls suggested technique is the most commonly used, I noticed some problems when compared to the image you posted.

NOTE: You can also use a drop shadow in a layer style.

Here are the results of that technique.

Screen Shot 2014-09-28 at 9.55.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-09-28 at 9.56.05 AM.png

But here are the problem areas I noticed that are not like the original image.

Screen Shot 2014-09-28 at 9.55.20 AM copy.png

Here are the results of using an old extrusion method. Notice that it's very similar to the original.

Screen Shot 2014-09-28 at 9.57.30 AM.png

Here's how it's done:

Step 1. Create your text layer. Color Pink.

Step 2. Use Command/Control + J to copy the text layer. Change it's color to Black. Move the layer below the Pink layer.

Step 3. Select/Highlight the Black layer. (Here's the fun part!) Hold down the Alt/Option + Command/Control keys, keep holding them down! Then press the down directional arrow key once, then press the right directional key once, then press the down directional arrow key once, then press the right directional key once.................continue doing this until the extrusion looks good to you.

NOTE: Each time you press the arrow keys, an new layer is created! What I usually do when I'm done, is I select the extrusion layers and merge them.

Good luck!

Last edited:
NOTE: Each time you press the arrow keys, an new layer is created! What I usually do when I'm done, is I select the extrusion layers and merge them.

An excellent technique there, and if you want to avoid making a new layer each time just Ctrl + Click the 'black' (rasterised) text layer thumbnail first.....then follow the exact same procedure...this will copy the selection in the same layer each time you move it instead of to a new layer, removing the need to then merge them afterwards.

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:
Good grief....were you watching me type that!

I swear you've tapped into my lappy camera!

:rofl:

Regards.
MrTom.

No...........I just watch the forum thread additions very closely. I cheat. :thumbsup:

Back