What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

magnifying effect photoshop

Hey guys, my name is isaac and im doing product photography, one of me client asked me if i can do "magnifying effect" like as it shows in the first picture, the second picture that a picture i took.

thank you for any help

mg1.jpg
mg2.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Step 1. Open your image. Convert to a smart object.

Step 2. Hit Command/Control + T to enter free transform mode. Hold the shift and option/alt key to constrain proportions and center. Expand to the desired magnification.

Step. 3. Highlight the original images layer. Use your Elliptical Marquee Tool to make a selection. With the mouse click held, press the shift key for a round ellipse, and/or press the spacebar to move the ellipse. When you have your selection, hit Command/Control + J to copy the selection to it's own layer. Name this layer 'magnified'.

Step 4. Highlight the original image layer again and hit Command/Control + T to trans form the image back to it's original size/dimensions.

Step 5. Highlight the magnified layer, select your Move Tool and position were you like it. Double click the layer to open a layer style, add a stroke. Then add an inner glow.

Magnified_01.png

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Your very welcome, glad to help.

Tom Mann

Guru
OP: "...that's what i got... looks real? ..."

The honest answer is that to me, you're on the right track, but it doesn't look quite right.

The reason is because a real magnifier always shows what is located directly under /in back of it, not something located off to the side of the magnifier. So, to me, it seems that there must be a second roll of light green material located right under (behind) the magnifier to see the image of it in the magnifier, but from the surroundings, we know this is not the case.

The fix is quite easy: Just move the "magnified image" a bit to the left and down so that it appears to be magnifying the bottom part of the light green roll that actually does exist.

HTH,

Tom M

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Tom is right, the position of the magnification needs to be changed.

CORRECT
Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 8.07.48 AM.png

INCORRECT
Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 8.10.23 AM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Also, I'm going to amend my previous steps to an easier method.

Step 1. Open your image. Convert to a smart object.

Step 2. Duplicate the original image.

Step 3. On the duplicate, hit Command/Control + T to enter free transform mode. Hold the shift and option/alt key to constrain proportions and center. Expand to the desired magnification.

Step 4. Highlight the duplicate layer. Use your Elliptical Marquee Tool to make a selection. With the mouse click held, press the shift key for a round ellipse, and/or press the spacebar to move the ellipse. When you have your selection, hit Command/Control + J to copy the selection to it's own layer. Name this layer 'magnified'.

Step 5. Turn off the duplicate layer.

Step 6. Highlight the magnified layer, select your Move Tool and position were you like it. Double click the layer to open a layer style, add a stroke. Then add an inner glow.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Sam covered everything with an excellent tutorial. I just have to share this courtesy of an old work project I had years ago. I used this in a presentation to the client.

I'll describe this procedure as "flexible" as you could move the magnifier as well as reposition or enlarge the "magnified" area. This enables you to select any area to magnify within the image as you wish.

1. Open the image you wish to add the effect.

2. On a second layer, create your magnifier lens. I used a real magnifier, but it's your choice....

3. With the elliptical selection tool, select the magnifier lens area only, create a new layer above and fill white. Group this with magnifier layer.

4. Duplicate the background image. Move/position this as the topmost layer. Press CTRL+T and enlarge the image as you wish. In the psd below, I cropped the image. You don't have to.

5. Clip this layer with the layer below. ALT+click the border line between the image and white filled lens layer.

To use, select the magnifier layer and move it around in the canvass to "magnify" the background image. Select the duplicate (topmost) image layer to reposition the magnified area directly in line with the magnifier lens and the original BG image or to enlarge ("increase magnification") as desired.

This is not the actual work project file but the test file to try the effect (in theory at the time...lol). Here's the test psd in it's old glory (created in a much earlier version of PS but can be opened with later versions).

Enjoy....

Attachments

• cat illusion.psd
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
One more thing.... too add to the realism of the magnified area for your use in your project, you may have to add a bit of distortion - I think a slight SPHERIZE effect will do just nicely. Again, that's your choice.........

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is a great illusion dv8 and I have done this before as well!

You had the same problem I had (what Tom was explaining) that the magnifying glass was (as it moves away from center) not showing the magnified area that it was over. For example: Place your mag glass over the door handle.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
You had the same problem I had (what Tom was explaining) that the magnifying glass was (as it moves away from center) not showing the magnified area that it was over. For example: Place your mag glass over the door handle.

Glad you liked it.

That's the problem I was having the first time around. Which is why I did it in this manner - add and clip a duplicate of the original image so it can be enlarged, moved and aligned accordingly.

At the time, the client was undecided which area of his product images he wanted to add the magnify effect. So I used the above illusion on his product images and showed it to him so we can play around with it and select the look of the final images needed for the design project.

LOL... At the time, I might have been playing around with the test file and saved it without aligning the magnified areas.