What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glossy cover effect

grandprix

Hi,
I'm trying to create that glossy book cover effect that you see typically see on hardback book covers.
Could anyone please provide some details on how I could achieve something like that (bearing in mind that I've just started learning photoshop).
I'll see if I can find an image that might explain it better.
Thanks.

hawkeye

Guru
What defines any material is the way it reacts to light. A glossy surface reflects light; the smoother the surface the greater the clarity of the reflection.

grandprix

That's exactly what I'm after, couldn't have found a better image myself.
Particularly the shine on the bottom orange book on the left near the spine of the book and also the reflective shine on the top orange book with that kind of texture also.
Would appreciate any details on how this can be created.
Thanks

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I don't know if you will want to do this but it would help greatly if you had a particular book image that you could post so that we can cater our help to your specific needs.

grandprix

I don't have the final book image as yet, that is still being developed.
But wouldn't the same principles apply to create the gloss regardless of the image of the book, or is there a direct correlation there.
(apologies if that's a silly question but I'm very new to this)

grandprix

Ok as a starting point, would anyone be able to help me replicate that small shine on the orange book, that's on the lower left of the book near the spine?
Thanks

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The orange book has more of a reflection that's a byproduct of the photography. What your seeing in the book is a refection of a wall and ceiling.
The surface texture of the book would play a huge role in how it will reflect it's surroundings.

As in this image...

RKBoxTut_09.png

The surface appears glossy due to it's implied reflective abilities.
The same technique that works for the image above may not work for your book image.
This is why I asked if we could see the book. It would be much easier to help you with a technique that will suit your needs.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This book has a texture that does not support a glossy reflection. It just needed a highlight which is more of a scattering of light,

This is exaggerated for the demo.......

Screen Shot 2014-10-14 at 10.11.14 PM.png

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I might be wrong and I don't have a UV coated something here to check on it......

What you ask for is actually a UV Printing / UV coating look. For glossy publications or prints this is used to give an added gloss. But it's not just a matter of reflective shine. UV coating deepens the color of the printed area.

Viewed at an angle, there's sometimes not much of a difference. Depending on the colors and details on the cover artwork ambient lighting and what is being reflected at the other end, you can still see the details and colors on the cover art within the reflective gloss.

IamSam's sample will work on a solid color book. But may not be the case for an illustrated book cover.

Which is why a sample from you will help decide this.

grandprix

Thanks all for your feedback and I understand what you mean.
I will be creating this effect for various types of books but initially if we could use the orange book as an example, that would suite my needs.
I just need a starting point on how I can attempt to recreate this effect so then I can play around with it myself. Or if you recommend a particular video tutorial you're aware of that I should watch I would be happy with that.
Is there a technical term this effect is referred to as as there may already be tutorials around to create this effect but I'm not using the right search terms.
Thanks

MrToM

Guru
Ok as a starting point, would anyone be able to help me replicate that small shine on the orange book, that's on the lower left of the book near the spine?
I don't want to intervene here as good solid advice has already been given, so I'm just going to answer the above question directly.

1. Add a new layer above the background...whatever that may be.
2. Change the layer blending mode to 'Soft Light'.
3. Paint in White on that layer to reproduce the specular highlight.
4. Use the eraser tool, masks, blur, whatever to shape the specular highlight to taste.

Following that procedure will result in something like this:

book_A_01.png

The lower image is just to highlight the er.....highlight.

Regards.
MrTom.

PS.
For me anyway this image is not being displayed at its full width of 600px....I dunno why not...you'll have to click it to view full size if its the same for you.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great advice MrT.

I also tried just leaving the layer mode set to normal and changing the Brush Tools painting mode to soft light. My intent for trying this method was that I could again adjust the Brush Tools painting mode back to normal in order to increase the intensity of the highlight in certain places while using the same layer. This works well, but you get a slightly brighter highlight result which requires that you lower it's layers opacity.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
grandprix said:
I just need a starting point on how I can attempt to recreate this effect so then I can play around with it myself. Or if you recommend a particular video tutorial you're aware of that I should watch I would be happy with that.
Is there a technical term this effect is referred to as as there may already be tutorials around to create this effect but I'm not using the right search terms.

Reflections: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=photoshop+reflection+tutorial&page=2

Highlights: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Photoshop+highlights&page=2

For a quick demo, I have changed the reflection in the book using this image for the reflection...

Screen Shot 2014-10-15 at 11.44.14 AM.png

And then added it to the book.

Screen Shot 2014-10-15 at 11.59.40 AM.png

I will gladly try to make a quick tutorial. Given your level of experience, it will require many details..............I would rather wait for your book image.

Last edited:

grandprix

Thanks for the advice given so far, its great.
I'm currently playing around trying various effects.
Can I please ask how I can replicate the shine and texture on that image of the red/pink object thats on one of the earlier posts.

grandprix

the shine and texture of the red/pink looks like glass-filter is used
Thanks for that advice, I was almost able to replicate that.
Just have one problem, the edges of the object has the texture applied to it in my attempt to replicate this, so it looks odd.
How do you just apply the filter to the top surface.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Do not add a background yet. Leave it transparent.
On a new layer, create a rectangle.
Use perspective transform to to give it a shape.
Fill with the color orange.

Screen Shot 2014-10-17 at 10.30.50 PM.png

Command + click the rectangles thumbnail to select.
Use the Gradient Tool to add foreground to transparent linear gradient to the rectangle. Set black as your foreground color.
Lower the gradients opacity.
Command + D to deselect.

Screen Shot 2014-10-17 at 10.31.11 PM.png

Create a new layer.
On this layer, create a new rectangle.
Use transform to shape the layer. I would make it taller than the first rectangle. Fill with a lighter color of the orange.
Hit Command+ click the first rectangles thumbnail, hit Command + I to invert the selection. Make sure the second rectangles layer is selected.
Hit delete.
Should now look like this...

Screen Shot 2014-10-17 at 10.31.28 PM.png

Now highlight the uppermost layer.
Hold shift + option + command and then hit E. This will copy all selected layers into one.
Turn off all other layers.

Highlight the new uppermost layer and go to the Glass filter.
Adjust the filter to your liking. Hit OK.

Screen Shot 2014-10-17 at 10.32.03 PM.png

Add in a white background layer now.
Add a drop shadow......

Screen Shot 2014-10-17 at 10.32.33 PM.png