What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help restoring color to a painting

raananh

Hi,
So I do this as a favor to a friend... His mother was painted when young. The painting was abused, and all the mother was left with was a black-and-white photo of the painting.
I tried to add color by making selections, and adding masked layers of solid color blended as "soft light", but the result is not good, maybe you can help me improve it...

Problems I see:

1. Abuse caused no details for the lower part (hands). I had to guess the hands position based on her right thumb and the belt, but there is no outline for the hands. Should I cut the lower part from the image, or maybe paint an outline for the hands (and if so, what is the easiest non-destructive way if I already have a path and a selection for the hands)? I know I need to fix the selection as at least the left palm is too big...

2. The seperation between the colors I added is too sharp, can I use some non-destructive filter or should I use "refine mask" on my masks and what to change? or maybe something else to blur the edges?

3. The belt is there but doesn't look real. Maybe I need to enhance the blacks (contrast) on the BW image, or maybe paint an outline of it? I have a selection and a path for belt.

4. Anything else?... This project was really above my head most of the times... Oh I now see I missed the lips...

I attach both the B&W pic of the painting, and my attempt to restore color to it.
Thanks for any help,
raananh

Attachments

• work0.jpg
    work0.jpg
    954.8 KB · Views: 6
  • work1.jpg
    work1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi raananh and welcome to the forum.

Before we address the colorization, I think we should take a look at the arms or lack there of.

I took the original and inverted the image to see if it would reveal any clues....

Screen Shot 2014-10-13 at 12.14.46 PM.png

After careful examination of the image, I think these are more of what I think the original may have looked like....

Screen Shot 2014-10-13 at 12.15.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-10-13 at 12.15.43 PM.png

I would like to hear some other opinion before we move on to colorization.

MrToM

Guru
I think you're right Sam. I don't reckon the hands are in the shot.

Could it be that she's sat at a desk with papers on it?

work_A_01.png

I dunno for sure but the left arm does tend to stop rather abruptly, suggesting something else is in front of it.
She also 'looks' like she may be sitting....the relaxed shoulders?

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great idea MrT I think it could be a table since the BG looks a little like a restaurant.

edit: On second look, I think it's a Church.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Hmmm...difficult to say isn't it?

Here's my intepretation...

work_A_02.png

BLUE: From left.
Another table?
Window?
Some sort of figurine / bust / animal head on a plinth?

RED:
Could this be from the wooden frame of the canvas? Its in the middle as regards height.

Maybe a school?

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think I see a cross here..........but it could be part of a window for sure.

Screen Shot 2014-10-13 at 1.22.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-10-13 at 1.22.41 PM.png

Last edited:

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
She's sitting in an ornate chair with her left hand resting on top of her right hand.

MrToM

Guru
Good calls there....both of you.

Sitting in a chair...yeah, I can see that.
The cross / window....yeah you could be right...it does look more 'cross' like than a window.
Hands....hmmmm....I dunno...the evidence leads to straight arms but its so difficult to tell.

The reason I reckon the left arm is straight is down to this very feint line....would this be there if the arm was bent?

work_A_03.png

Regards.
MrTom.

raananh

Your'e all amazing! I'm speechless at how quickly and accurately you outline the details! I have lots to learn. I can clearly see her right thumb in the bottom of the circle that MrTom has drawn in the previous post (is that what you meant ALB68?). Or maybe I'm wrong. Either way that doesn't matter much, I think I have artistic freedom here...
raananh

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey raananh, I see what your referring to but I don't think it's her right thumb..........having sad that, this is your project and we are just offering suggestions, so it can be anything you like. What I was intending by starting this, is that this is your primary starting point before you start your colorization. It's best to have everything lined out so you can color within the lines so to speak.

raananh

Aha, so ALB68, what seemed to me as a belt is actually her left hand with maybe some bracelets? and her right hand laying on a table?
raananh

raananh

I'll do what you say IamSam. I'm humbled. Please advise me what to do... I tried and failed on my own...
Thanks,
raananh

Last edited:

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Yes, right hand on a table etc. with her hand clinched and her left hand on top.
Aha, so ALB68, what seemed to me as a belt is actually her left hand with maybe some bracelets? and her right hand laying on a table?
raananh