What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make paint brush automatically paints colour on black and white layer

MatchPhotos

How to make paint brush automatically paint colour on a black and white layer

This is probably an easily solved question as it was something I used to have set before I format my laptop and lost my preferences but here it is..

Before format, when I would apply the Black and White adjustment, my paint brush or pencil tool would automatically pencil/brush colour into the photo, now it doesn't and I can't seem to figure out how to revert it back to how it was. I've Googled it and can't seem to find what I'm looking for, although I think I may be just wording it wrong.

So, as below..

tumblr_n3u5d6GRGt1sncywgo1_1280.jpgtumblr_n8tpsfaTJs1sncywgo1_1280.pngtumblr_n8lni8bsej1sncywgo1_1280.png

On these pictures I just applied black and white adjustment, hit paint brush or pencil tool and it'd inject colour in to the image, I can't seem to get that to happen anymore.

As I mentioned, someone will probably solve this really quickly.

Appreciate any help you can give.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Try this...

1. Do as you are doing but on a duplicate layer of the image......Ctrl + J
2. Add your B+W adjustment to that duplicate layer.
3. Add a 'Layer mask' to that layer using the 'Add Layer Mask' icon 3rd from left at the bottom of the layers panel.
4. Making sure that the MASK is selected (White corners around the thumbnail) paint in BLACK to reveal the original 'coloured' layer underneath.
5. If you make a mistake hit 'x' on your keyboard to swap the foreground/background colours and paint in WHITE. This will restore the B+W pixels.

Regards.
MrTom.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Tom, just for information, why the second layer mask when one exists with the adjustment layer?

MrToM

Guru
Tom, just for information, why the second layer mask when one exists with the adjustment layer?

Thats a very good point......erm.....just seeing if you are paying attention?

Joking aside I guess its just habit....belt and braces ya know?

There isn't really any need for a duplicate layer, you're right.....its just something I've always done.

Regards.
MrTom.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Thank you! At my advanced age I miss a lot :banghead:
Thats a very good point......erm.....just seeing if you are paying attention?

Joking aside I guess its just habit....belt and braces ya know?

There isn't really any need for a duplicate layer, you're right.....its just something I've always done.

Regards.
MrTom.