What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can CS3 or CS5 Be Purchased?

Liza_Ford

I would like to purchase an older version of Photoshop such as CS3 or CS5. I know from experience at work that the older versions are quite suitable for my needs. I'm hoping they are available for prices lower than when they were first released. I'd be using it at home on a fairly new OS X Mac. Did not find info on this on the Adobe website. Am seeing prices ranging from $350 to $2,000 on other sites. Don't know what to believe. Anyone know of a trustworthy site I can go to buy CS3 or CS5? Are license transfers o.k.? Maybe I can find someone who has CS3/5 who is no longer using it or any of the upgrades? Could these older versions even run on OS X? Thanks.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Liza, you know you can get if off Adobe Creative Cloud for $9.99 a month and that would be PS 2014. If you think you can get by without a full blown version you might try PS Elements. You can buy V-13 for 89.00 from Amazon.

Liza_Ford

Liza, you know you can get if off Adobe Creative Cloud for $9.99 a month and that would be PS 2014. If you think you can get by without a full blown version you might try PS Elements. You can buy V-13 for 89.00 from Amazon.
I certainly did NOT know that. For some reason I thought the monthly rates for CC were very high and did not even consider it to be a possibility. $9.99 a month is fine by me. Thanks. I'll contact Adobe it right away. There must be a downside?

O.K. I just got off the phone with Adobe. They confirmed what you said. If I'm satisfied to have Photoshop only, and I don't need much cloud storage (I don't), it's $9.99/month. Sounds too good to be true. He mentioned that if I wanted to buy CS6 outright, it would cost $700. This doesn't make sense. Why would someone pay $700 for CS6 if he could get CC for $9.99/month? CC is automatically upgraded. Upgrading CS6 would cost something. Apparently, you are committed to CC for a year. What happens after 12 months if I stop paying the monthly fee? Do I simply stop getting upgrades or does CC completely shut down? Even if it did, I still like the idea of $9.99/month. He also said the license allows me to put CC on two devices.

Want to double check on something. CC has all the capabilities of CS6 - correct? It is not a subset of CS6 is it?

Last edited:

gedstar

Guru
"Want to double check on something. CC has all the capabilities of CS6 - correct? It is not a subset of CS6 is it?"
FYI, They've taken away the Oil Paint Filter from CC2014 other than that CC2014 is the same as CS6 with a lot of new added features

Take a look here
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/versions.html?PID=2159997
http://prodesigntools.com/whats-new-features-adobe-cc-vs-cs6.html

"What happens after 12 months if I stop paying the monthly fee?" Basically you won't be able to open Photoshop
http://www.adobe.com/misc/subscription_terms.html

Last edited:

ALB68

Looking at it from a CC members standpoint, I took advantage of the $19.95 offer for the full suite a year ago. After that year it went to full price for of about $50.00 a month. I could probably do with less, but I see Adobe adding more and more improvements, and I love being able to use all their software for what amounts to about $600 a year. (pretty much the cost of just one application such as PS or Ai prior CCld). At the end of the subscription year, they don't just shut you off as long as your card is good. So your pretty much in charge of your deal there.

"Want to double check on something. CC has all the capabilities of CS6 - correct? It is not a subset of CS6 is it?"
FYI, They've taken away the Oil Paint Filter from CC2014 other than that CC2014 is the same as CS6 with a lot of new added features

Take a look here
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/versions.html?PID=2159997
http://prodesigntools.com/whats-new-features-adobe-cc-vs-cs6.html

"What happens after 12 months if I stop paying the monthly fee?" Basically you won't be able to open Photoshop
http://www.adobe.com/misc/subscription_terms.html

Rich54

Guru
I have never used Photoshop CC, but I can imagine one possible disadvantage of a CC subscription. Photoshop is complicated enough as it is, and I have reached a certain comfort level with my trusty CS5. Adobe will periodically introduce new features to CC, change old features, change the screen layouts, etc. Personally, I would not want to suddenly (and involuntarily) be confronted with a bunch of changes, forcing me to stop everything and re-learn Photoshop. I am just a hobbyist and CS5 should be good enough for me for the next 20 years.

Do any of you CC users find this to be an issue, or am I just an inflexible old geezer? Does Adobe ever spring surprises on you where you suddenly can't figure out how to do something that you've successfully done a million times before?

ALB68

Rich,
I fall into that "old geezer" category also. When the CC was first introduced I was with a whole bunch of people that were resisting the change. The initial deal was like $49.95, which at the time was not in my budget. Then Adobe "saw the light" so to speak and started offering some deals. I bit for $19.95 for a year and loved what I got. In so far as I can tell, the changes Adobe has made to PS have pretty much all been for the good. Many of them I don't use but many I do, but it;s nice to have them. I don't know of anything that makes PS any more difficult to use and I have been using it since Version 7. I pay more now, (my choice) but I get a whole lot more. I currently have PS2014, PSCC and PS CS6 on my machine, along with Adobe Illustrator 2014 (great program), the full version of Adobe Acrobat, InDesign and Adobe Muse. (by the way, Adobe automatically updates the existing PS versions too). To answer your question, I don't know of any surprises that Adobe has thrown out that made my work any more difficult. Each time they do an update they are very careful to carefully document what the changes are etc. They came with a fairly extensive update just this week and they actually had Terry White to do a video (it's on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FosIfgVVOtU ) on the changes.
I have never used Photoshop CC, but I can imagine one possible disadvantage of a CC subscription. Photoshop is complicated enough as it is, and I have reached a certain comfort level with my trusty CS5. Adobe will periodically introduce new features to CC, change old features, change the screen layouts, etc. Personally, I would not want to suddenly (and involuntarily) be confronted with a bunch of changes, forcing me to stop everything and re-learn Photoshop. I am just a hobbyist and CS5 should be good enough for me for the next 20 years.

Do any of you CC users find this to be an issue, or am I just an inflexible old geezer? Does Adobe ever spring surprises on you where you suddenly can't figure out how to do something that you've successfully done a million times before?

gedstar

Guru
I assumed the OP was asking if she could still use Photoshop CC2014 without subscribing after the year was up!

Looking at it from a CC members standpoint, I took advantage of the $19.95 offer for the full suite a year ago. After that year it went to full price for of about $50.00 a month. I could probably do with less, but I see Adobe adding more and more improvements, and I love being able to use all their software for what amounts to about $600 a year. (pretty much the cost of just one application such as PS or Ai prior CCld). At the end of the subscription year, they don't just shut you off as long as your card is good. So your pretty much in charge of your deal there.

ALB68

Lot better than CS6. You can download it and try it too for free if you want to check it out

I certainly did NOT know that. For some reason I thought the monthly rates for CC were very high and did not even consider it to be a possibility. $9.99 a month is fine by me. Thanks. I'll contact Adobe it right away. There must be a downside?

O.K. I just got off the phone with Adobe. They confirmed what you said. If I'm satisfied to have Photoshop only, and I don't need much cloud storage (I don't), it's $9.99/month. Sounds too good to be true. He mentioned that if I wanted to buy CS6 outright, it would cost $700. This doesn't make sense. Why would someone pay $700 for CS6 if he could get CC for $9.99/month? CC is automatically upgraded. Upgrading CS6 would cost something. Apparently, you are committed to CC for a year. What happens after 12 months if I stop paying the monthly fee? Do I simply stop getting upgrades or does CC completely shut down? Even if it did, I still like the idea of $9.99/month. He also said the license allows me to put CC on two devices.

Want to double check on something. CC has all the capabilities of CS6 - correct? It is not a subset of CS6 is it?

gedstar

Guru
Actually tried the trial version of CC2014 and the only issue I found was with my Wacom Bamboo Tablet found that it was non responsive when trying to make adjustments to various values like increasing opacity and the likes.
So for me I'll be sticking with CS6, CS6 has all that I think I'll ever need. Me been an oldish kind of geezerish too :) but always young at heart ;)

MikeMc

McGuru

I too am an olde geezer. I started with PS7 now I use CS5.5 extended. I did try the new CC and had ZERO issues with it...I do not use 3D so I really cannot see that I will get more for my 9.95 a month, I use and like Bridge so lightshop is not needed. I will say that the 9.95 monthly fee is quite do able and a good value....IF you do not have CS5 or CS6. I spent my budget this year on a monitor calibration device...I needed that more than the new CC.

Larry does point out the plusses for spending more...IF you need it