What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo Retouching/Restoration Practice 3

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have seen this image before and we may have used it a while back. With a whole new set of players, I feel it's safe to bring it back in a new challenge.

No comments from the cheap seats on the condition of her skin. This is a lovely young woman and I would hope that we can all treat her image with respect.

I encourage everyone to give it a try even if your new to Photoshop. All participants should be prepared to explain the techniques they have been using, as we can't learn or help without some idea as to how it was accomplished.

Good luck!

1.png

Here is my 1st attempt.

edit: I start by opening the original and duplicating it and then turning off the original layer.
I create a new layer. This is the layer that I will do all of the following adjustments on.

I started by using the following tools and settings.
Healing Brush Tool - Mode= normal - Source= Sampled - Clone sample mode= Current level and below.
Spot Healing Brush Tool - Mode= Normal - Type= Content aware - Sample cloned data from composited data= Sample all layers.
Brush Tool - Mode= Normal - Opacity= 100% - Flow= 1%

This is the image (Layer A) after only using the tools above and one added Levels Adjustment Layer.

Screen Shot 2014-10-19 at 4.07.03 PM.png

edit: I then select the uppermost layer (Levels Adjustment layer) and hit Shift>Option>Command + E to stamp all visible layers. I then name this layer A.
I highlight all other layers except layer A and the original background layer and group them. I then turn off the group.

I then start where the tutorial starts with only the layer A turned on.

Here is the image after using a skin softening technique described in this video:

Retouch_03.png

Last edited:

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
"I started by using the following tools and settings.
Healing Brush Tool - Mode= normal - Source= Sampled - Clone sample mode= Current level and below.S
Spot Healing Brush Tool - Mode= Normal - Type= Content aware - Sample cloned data to composited data= Sample all layers.nd
Brush Tool - Mode= Normal - Opacity= 100% - Flow= 1%

Sam, couple of questions- How do you Sample cloned data to composited data?
Do you make these edits on the first layer prior to making the second layer or do you make the 2nd layer and then edit? If so, on which layer? This would indicate your working on the 2nd layer.

MrToM

Guru
Nice one Sam but er.....what exactly is the objective?

I did this in 2 seconds with a black paint brush but I'm not sure it's what you're after...

1.jpg

Even if I say so myself, I think its some of my best work.

Regards.
The cheap seats.

(I know my place.)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Larry said:
Sam, couple of questions- How do you Sample cloned data from composited data?

(note: I corrected a word to "from")

Larry, this is a parameter that you choose from. With the Spot Healing Brush Tool selected, mouseover this window and you will see the hint window........unless you have the hints turned off.

View attachment 49896

Larry said:
Do you make these edits on the first layer prior to making the second layer or do you make the 2nd layer and then edit? If so, on which layer? This would indicate your working on the 2nd layer.

Great question Larry! I'm going to answer that by editing my first post..........which is what I should have done in the first place. I meant to and forgot.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MrT said:
Nice one Sam but er.....what exactly is the objective?
To have fun and enjoy yourself!
I like your edit, it's quite fetching. Aaaaaand..........I agree, perhaps your best ever!

ALB68

Thanks Sam.
My" Shift>Option>Command + E to stamp all visible layers" doesn't work in PS2014 either. Seems as it works in some versions and not in others, in particularly ones with plugins (don't know which but I have a good many)
I do not have that hint available that I see in PS 2014. Where are those turned off and on ordinarily?

[/B]
(note: I corrected a word to "from")

Larry, this is a parameter that you choose from. With the Spot Healing Brush Tool selected, mouseover this window and you will see the hint window........unless you have the hints turned off.

View attachment 49896

[/B]

Great question Larry! I'm going to answer that by editing my first post..........which is what I should have done in the first place. I meant to and forgot.

ALB68

Here is one I did pretty much following what you instructed. These touch ups fool me. What looks good to me doesn't always make the grade with you experts. Thank goodness I don't have to make money doing these things, I would starve probably.
1 copy.png

MrToM

Guru
My" Shift>Option>Command + E to stamp all visible layers" doesn't work in PS2014 either
I've had this [intermittent] problem too so you're not on your own.

I don't have any plugins though so it may just be PS itself.

One thing that does seem to work more often than not is to add a new layer to the top of the stack first.....have that blank layer selected then do the 'Stamp Visible'....it'll fill that blank layer.

No guarantees it'll work for you but It does seem to do the trick.

Regards.
MrTom.

MrToM

Guru
...I agree, perhaps your best ever!
Thanks Sam....that means so much to me.

Here's something which I'm not particularly proud of but hey....rough with the smooth right?
Tried a technique which @Paul has used recently and that is to to use just one tool....in this case the 'Healing Brush'.

Mode: Normal, Sample: Current & Below.
The only things I changed were the brush size and source.

Restoration_Practice_3_A_01.jpg

Apart from the removing the unmentionables I also attempted to remove some of the 'shine' on the nose and the cheek.

The hardest part, which proved a little too much for just one tool, was the left side of the mouth. The image quality in that area seems to have taken a nose dive, the healing brush just made it worst if I'm honest.

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:

ALB68

Yep, I've tried that too since that was the way the command worked in older versions, but like you, it works "sometimes" using a blank layer at the top of the stack.
I've had this [intermittent] problem too so you're not on your own.

I don't have any plugins though so it may just be PS itself.

One thing that does seem to work more often than not is to add a new layer to the top of the stack first.....have that blank layer selected then do the 'Stamp Visible'....it'll fill that blank layer.

No guarantees it'll work for you but It does seem to do the trick.

Regards.
MrTom.

MrToM

Guru
Yep, I've tried that too since that was the way the command worked in older versions...
Yeah....pre CS5 I believe?

Here's another way to 'Stamp Visible'.

Hold down Alt/Option...
Click on and HOLD the 'Layers' menu item...
DRAG down the list to 'Merge Visible'...
Release the mouse and it should have the same effect.

The HOLD and DRAG part of that is the trick.....otherwise the menu just disappears.

See if that works.

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Another method is to highlight all the layers, Command + J to duplicate, then Command + E to merge.

Larry - Your edit is looking pretty good! There are still a few rough areas but I think this is a great improvement! I'm actually excited about getting a little more aggressive with the Healing Brush Tool. I like the idea of getting as close to the finished product as you can before you attempt any of the smoothing techniques.

Paul

Former Member
I did everything except the video part, i replaced that with another copy of my top layer then i smudged slightly at very low single number settings, then did a curves adjustment to the red layer only, recoloured her hair slightly and a slight eye and teeth whiten, i have a real game of it following video tuts for some reason?

skin.jpg I wanted to keep some natural bumps within the make over.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Looks great Paul! I'm a huge advocate of the more natural look. Most retouching is way overdone. One thing we all seem to be doing is taming down those highlights.

Paul

Former Member
Yeah shine/light glare is a killer on a face, especially when it's a portrait in my opinion.
Nice approach with the thread Sam:thumbsup:

Paul

Former Member
Added a new layer of just her skin no eyes lips teeth or hair, then i applied a layer pattern over the skin layer and lowered the opacity.
I then made another copy of that and set it at multiply and lowered the opacity of that by about 30%.

skincolour.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Interesting idea Paul, it seems to have raised the contrast and the hues have shifted slightly to the yellow side. Can you describe the layer pattern a bit more?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm non-judgmental................if it floats your boat. To each his own I always say! Your off your meds again? That explains a lot!