What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

keyboard shortcut question...

abfitch

I used to know it but can't remember anymore and after a long search online, still can't figure it out.

Ok, I have a bunch of layers and I want to make a lasso selection on the top layer and then use whatever the correct keyboard shortcut is to make a new layer with a merge of all the underlying layers made in the lasso selection area.

I know I can cntrl-alt-shift E and stamp a new layer on top of the stack with a merged version of all the layers below and then make a lasso selection and cntrl-J that to a new layer, then delete the cntrl-alt-shift E layer...but I would like to save the step of having to make the merged layer first. There is a keyboard short cut for this but I just cant find it.

Any of you pro's have the answer to this? Would really appreciate it.

Thanks!!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have spent the better part of 2 hours searching for this keyboard shortcut......................I didn't find anything. I'm not saying that this mysterious shortcut does not exist, but I'm very doubtful. I hope I'm wrong as this would be a very helpful shortcut/option.

MrToM

Guru
Ctrl + Shift + C (Copy Merged)
Ctrl + V (Paste)

About as close as I got.

Maybe you had a custom action assigned to a shortcut for this before?
Just a thought.

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MrT, I toyed with the method you described. The problem I found with this method and both merge methods was that it includes all active layers. You would have to turn off all layers you did not want included in the selection. This could be a problem if you had many layers an you did not structure your layers in groups etc,.

I thought it would be easier to be able to target/choose the layers I wanted to include within my selection.

Make a selection with whatever tool you wish.
Highlight the layers you wish to include in the selection with shift + click or Command/Control + click.
Command/Control + J to duplicate the highlighted layers.
Command/Control + E to merge the duplicates.
Command/Control + J to copy the selection to it's own layer.

This method is fast, gives you the ability to target specific layers, but it still leaves a duplicated layer that would need to be deleted or turned off.

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
I may be completely wrong here but...

...The problem I found with this method and both merge methods was that it includes all active layers.
Maybe I misunderstood the OP but wasn't that what they wanted?
...to make a new layer with a merge of all the underlying layers...

And I hate to say it but isn't the rest of your method exactly what the OP has already tried and wishes to avoid?

I know I can cntrl-alt-shift E and stamp a new layer on top of the stack with a merged version of all the layers below and then make a lasso selection and cntrl-J that to a new layer, then delete the cntrl-alt-shift E layer...but I would like to save the step of having to make the merged layer first...

I'm not trying to pick fault here but to me it seems your method is just a repeat of what the OP doesn't want......despite your method producing exactly the results required.

Sorry.

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MrT, Your absolutely right.........in my clammer, I'm not sure where I decided that there was a need to target specific layers. Tangents. I stand corrected.

abfitch

thanks for all the quick post. I to have spent lot's of time online trying to find it again. I think I first saw it in a tutorial from a famous instructional site. I wrote it down. Used it allot but moved and set up a new computer and forgot what it was. It really was only making a selection, hitting the keyboard shortcut and everything in that selection was merged into a new top layer. so convenient and saved precious time from having to making a complete merged layer and then making a selection and copying that to a new layer.
The mystery continues and I will not give up in my quest. I retouch all day long and you all know how it's the little things like this that help.
Thanks again!

Last edited:

TonyCooper

Keyboard shortcuts are great, and I use a lot of them. However, sometimes it's easier to
not to use one. After creating a Layer Mask, I'll "merge visible" to get a layer that can be
worked on. I use Layer>Merge Visible while holding down the Alt key. It's actually simpler
this way than the designated shortcut.