What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where oh Where do my placed images go?

bcphoto

I am building a composite image, create a new image clean white background and drag from bridge the images I want to use in the composite. Here's my issue...the images I have brought in are automatically turned into smart objects..( love those) so I open one of those placed S/O images and edit/adjust it then save and close...like it should the composite reflects the change. I can open and close that s/o as many times and make tons of changes...again awesome....but I may want to use that same image by itself and want to retain those changes....but when I go to the folder that I took the image from, the original image does not reflect any of those changes.

So my question is, where on my computer does the edited version of the placed image get stored...I'm guessing a temp folder somewhere, but can't find it!! Any body know?

Thanks
Brendan

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Welcome to our forum Brendan. Hopefully you will find it to be helpful.
You have asked a good question and I'm sure one of our more techy members will come along with an answer. Please be patient as many members are in different time zones.

MrToM

Guru
I got 2/3 the way through this before the penny dropped as to what you wanted...so its unnecessarily long.

Right....I think I know what ya mean...[bear in mind I use CC 2014 in Windows 7 x64 so adjust to taste]
I am building a composite image, create a new image clean white background and drag from bridge the images I want to use in the composite.
With ya so far...no problem...

Here's my issue...
Okey dokey....pig in a pokey!

...the images I have brought in are automatically turned into smart objects..( love those)
Yep....so far so good...

...so I open one of those placed S/O images and edit/adjust it then save and close...
Now then...
For me, at this point, opening that smart object opens a temporary copy of the original image...located at:
C:\Users\ < username > \AppData\Local\Temp
(Right click the document tab and choose 'Open in Explorer')

Saving prompts you to flatten the image and try saving again.
Doing so saves the [edited] copy in the same location....unless you change it.

like it should the composite reflects the change.
The original PSD file updates....yes....if that's what that means.

I can open and close that s/o as many times and make tons of changes...again awesome....
For me this smart object is now just the saved [edited] copy from before....flattened.

...but I may want to use that same image by itself and want to retain those changes....but when I go to the folder that I took the image from, the original image does not reflect any of those changes.
I got to this point and the penny dropped as to what you were doing.....I could have edited the post to a much shorter version but as I'd already written it I thought you're jolly well going to get it....both barrels!

So my question is, where on my computer does the edited version of the placed image get stored...I'm guessing a temp folder somewhere, but can't find it!! Any body know?

I think I've explained where this file is but what you've done is to ask completely the wrong question....:rofl:

Don't worry though, its pretty simple what you want to do, the way you were doing it was just totally wrong for what you want.

Here's what to do:

Create a new blank white document as you've done before.
Drag your images in from Bridge as before.

This is the difference....DO NOT open the smart object to make adjustments.

Make your adjustments to each layer IN the PSD file.....say you add a B+W adjustment layer for instance.
...then select everything relating to the image......so that's the Image layer AND the B+W adjustment layer.
Right click the layer and choose 'Convert to Smart Object'.

The layer will now look as it did before but NOW if you open it the adjustment layer will still be there.
NOTE: When you do open it, check the name of the file in the tab....it should end in PSB
This PSB document HAS to be saved after any editing in order for the original PSD file to update.
Once saved the PSB file will close and the PSD file will be updated.
You can now open and close this single layer 'Smart Object' as many times as you like.

REMEMBER to save the PSD file as well!

And thats it.

No file searching required.

Sorry that was a bit long winded but I didn't want to remove any of it. :rofl:

Regards.
MrTom.