What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best way to change backgrounds

TonyCooper

OK, now I'm asking for help.What technique have the Gurus here
used to change the backgrounds in their submissions?

While I have CC 2014, I tend to use older methods using Layer
Masks and exposing what is underneath. I've done that for years.

I rarely use the newer Content-Aware Fill in anything larger than,
say, removing a beer can from a landscape shot. The area has
to be far enough removed from unsimilar features to be a clean
replacement. Large areas pick up too much stuff that has to be
taken out. I'm here to learn.

I'm new to this forum, and work strictly on my own photographs
usually, but I'd like to know how others go about these modifications.
Seeing the result doesn't tell me how the Guru got there.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Tony
I'm a layer mask guy too. There are other ways of course but using a layer mask (for many purposes) is a great way to work. I agree with you about content aware to an extent. It works pretty good sometimes and is amazing, other times it fetches parts of the image not even close. I usually will try it though as I can always cancel it and try something else.
OK, now I'm asking for help.What technique have the Gurus here
used to change the backgrounds in their submissions?

While I have CC 2014, I tend to use older methods using Layer
Masks and exposing what is underneath. I've done that for years.

I rarely use the newer Content-Aware Fill in anything larger than,
say, removing a beer can from a landscape shot. The area has
to be far enough removed from unsimilar features to be a clean
replacement. Large areas pick up too much stuff that has to be
taken out. I'm here to learn.

I'm new to this forum, and work strictly on my own photographs
usually, but I'd like to know how others go about these modifications.
Seeing the result doesn't tell me how the Guru got there.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Are you talking about removing and replacing backgrounds or just altering an existing background?

TonyCooper

Are you talking about removing and replacing backgrounds or just altering an existing background?

Partial. This post was moved from another thread by a moderator in order to get a wider audience. It was a thread on removing part of
the the background. For a full background, like putting in a new sky, I'd use a Layer Mask unless it has very clean edges and the Magic
Wand or the Quick Selection tool would work.

It's a question about removing a large area and replacing it. Usually, I add a layer with the fill material in it, move the background layer (copy) over it, and make that
a Layer Mask and expose the underlying layer.

Just looking to see what others would do with the same situation.

MikeMc

McGuru
I am also a layer mask guy...That said I do love content aware fill...SOMETIMES can save hours

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The key to backgrounds is the selection process used to remove the main subjects.

Backgrounds are all different and require different methods in order to remove, move, alter, and replace them. Any of the quick selection tools might work for certain backgrounds but not with others. I will almost always use an alpha channel selection process to do the brunt of the work. The Pen Tool as well as the Brush Tool with a layer mask are my next tools of choice if I'm after an exact and precise selection. I NEVER use any destructive techniques. I always use masks. Masks can be altered and refined.

If I'm using the Clone Stamp Tool or any of the Healing or Patch Tools, I always work on a separate layer.

I don't use the Content Aware Move Tool at all.

The next key to altering backgrounds is blending. This is the step that most people leave out. The Brush, Blur, and Smudge Tools are essential for this step.

Paul

Former Member
I use everything available, like Sam said it depends on the image.
A quick way for me is making a isolation copy then overlaying onto original (usually for requests here as it's quick and shows what can be done).
More time spent equals greater quality obviously, but as we are here to explain and inform to the best of our individual knowledge/skill base.