What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for some help on stacking layers (subject is different colors of hair)

sshanky

Hi,

I have to generate images of combinations of two hair colors. There are 15 total colors, so that means 225 total images.

I was hoping to shoot photos of each of the colors without overlays, then photos of the overlays. I'd like to make the overlays (which do not cover the entire image) into individual layers and then use them over the base colors. I want the blending to look realistic, and so I need transparency that is accurate.

Any thoughts on how to do this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This sounds familiar........have you asked this question before under a different user name?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry, I'll see if I can find the other thread on this similar matter.

colleague

Guru
is it something like this ?
a top-layer with the color is placed with blendingmode "soft light"
if you want more color you can duplicate the top-layer
if you want less color you can use the opacity of the top-layer

Attachments

• 2color.jpg
    2color.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 40

sshanky

Thanks, colleague. That is *close*, but not quite what I have to do. I tried it and it worked very well with colors, but when I tried putting a lighter (blonde) hair color over dark (black) hair, it did not work.

To explain a little better, I am going to show a base color of hair (like black), with streaks of blond through it. To take the photo, I would put the streaked hair, which is about half as dense as the base color (the streaks are formed by using alternating strips of the blonde hair) over the base hair, and brush it in a bit. I would take that photo, then do it again with all the highlight (streak) colors over the black. Then, I'd start again with the next base color, going through all the highlight colors.

I was hoping to somehow shoot the streaks separately and place each color of streaks/highlights into their own layers, then turn each on in turn over the base color layer I would also shoot. I had not actually thought of drawing the streaks in, and I am not sure if it'll look the same as brushed through highlights would.

Thanks

Paul

Former Member
Show us just how far you have managed to get with this please.

sshanky

Show us just how far you have managed to get with this please.

Here a couple of images to illustrate what I am trying to do.

Hair, one color:
15761516922_cdb23dfa86_z.jpg

Hair, same color plus highlight color:
15575018767_3b99890523_z.jpg

These are two photos, not edited yet. You can see how the highlight color, the blonde color, was brushed in with the brown hair. For each of the colors, I need to take a photo with each of the remaining colors brushed through. That will add up to a lot of photos. What I was hoping for is a way to shoot the blonde hair separately, and then add it in over the brown hair in its own layer. Or, even better, if only I could change the colors somehow to match -- then I could take one set of two different layers and just change their colors, so that all the images would have the same hair brushing pattern.

Thanks

sshanky

That looks great. Let me show you another photo I've taken:

15581423527_57cfce7813_z.jpg

This is a (poor) example of the two colors brushed together (the top half of the photo is blended better than the bottom part, where it appears the blonde strands are just laying on top of the dark ones).

Here is a photo showing the two colors side by side:
15581168918_a270b1c532_z.jpg

Thanks again!

sshanky

Hi everyone, I ended up shooting these combos individually. Now, I'm doing Ombres and want to find the best way to blend the two color layers. I have this so far:

Screen Shot 2014-11-19 at 3.29.47 PM.jpg

Produced simply with layer masks separating two photos, one of each color. I don't know if I am using the best blend mode (normal) for this. here's another:

Screen Shot 2014-11-19 at 3.37.09 PM.jpg

Thanks!