What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

morph two images to match NOT panorama

mike1691

I have a series of images taken at different dates, some many years apart, and want to get them as correctly aligned as possible. The images were taken from slightly different positions and with somewhat different focal length lenses. The result would be two images of the same scene from the different dates but corrected for various distortions. Obviously it will not be possible to correct for all distortions and positional effects but a lot could be done. I am assuming there will be a tool where you can click on a range of points in each image and tell the program its the same thing in each picture and the program will automatically transform one or both of the images so that they are more similar to each other. I have found plenty of warping and morphing tools in photoshop but not one that will do this.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Welcome....

You have to manually use the tools and manipulate the subjects in order to mimic depth and blend the subject into an image with adjustments in color, brightness and contrast values to name a few.

Not all images will work. You have find 2 which share similarities - POV, lighting and most importantly image quality are but a few that you have to look for.

At this point in time, there's no such thing as a one click application or a programmable tool that does the work based on your input.

Post samples of the images you mention.......

mike1691

Here is an example of a few images taken over 22 year period of same place but from slightly different position and I want to align/morph them as closely as possible, it does not matter about colour or brightness matching as the main point is to show how different or similar they are but the 'spot the difference' is easier if they are aligned as closely as possible. In this case the alignment is quite good, in other instances it is rather less good.

gb92_beechwood_bramshaw_autumn_colour4.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Morphing means to combine two images together. See this: Photoshop Morphed Images I'm not sure your using the correct terminology here.

There is also blending images together, such as this.......

images-blended.jpg

To me, for comparison, you will still have to align the images side by side all in the same size. You can get the alignment fairly close but the different perspectives would be difficult to change.

You can also arrange the images in a similar fashion as your example you provided above, three aligned top to bottom and one large image to their right or left.

Just not sure what your needing, sorry.

mike1691

I have just put the images like that for ease of showing the different dates and to remind me of the different formats 35mm/5x4/35mm digital. In the analysis I would want to show them as closely aligned as possible so its possible to see if branches have been lost or shrubs have gown or died or similar. Potentially they could be on different layers with everything to the same size so that the trees are same size and aligned in each image allowing you to switch on or off each layer to see things that have changed or using different transparency. The images are for use in a scientific paper not necessarily for making a nice overall photo.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, this would depend on what program you use for your presentation.

....allowing you to switch on or off each layer to see things that have changed or using different transparency.....

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
In that case, it may need a bit of cropping and cloning work to get what you need.

Upload the full size images so we can work out something for you.....

So you want the images to show in sequence? Creating an animated gif will work if this were to be used in Powerpoint or in the net.

mike1691

In that case, it may need a bit of cropping and cloning work to get what you need.
Cropping is OK, cloning is not as that risks 'inventing' data that is not there and might influence the results

Upload the full size images so we can work out something for you.....
Can't upload full size of this image as its 1.7gb (remember scan of 5x4 slide) but will look for another smaller example

So you want the images to show in sequence for your paper? Creating an animated gif will work if this were to be used in Powerpoint or in the net.
Yes, images in sequence for paper. Other more fancy presentations such as animated .gif might be possible if I put them online too, the transparency/layer idea is for analysis which will be presented as numbers and words in the paper.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I will have to admit that aligning the images would be difficult. And to morph them to be identical will be tedious to the max with an outcome that can't be guaranteed.

one alternative is to resize and crop choice images in order that the scene match up closely to each other like this animation sample I did with 2 of the images.....

gb92_01.gif

I used the foreground stump as a position reference point.

If this is something that works for you, simply save the images individually for print use .

mike1691

Thanks, I have been trying to upload big images but it never seems to complete, possibly the slow link here.

I was hoping there would be something like you get in GIS programs where you can identify control points all over the image (in GIS case a map) and it transforms/morphs (or whatever the term is) the image to whatever coordinate reference system. In the case of these images I was hoping that I would be able to identify points on the edges of the stump and key branch intersections in both images and get the program to automatically change one of the images so it best matches the other and can morph areas to match.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I'm not familiar with the application you mention. And Photoshop doesn't have the auto capability you need. Everything is manual, eyeball work coupled with trickery to fool the eye so to speak.