What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edit Request or instructions please

hairmaiden

This an image of myself. I have been trying to make it an overall better photo but I'm failing miserably. I know the background is a bit distracting, but I need help. I need this photo for my website, so I need it to look more like a professional portrait. Maybe some makeup, remove the background to something less noisy, sharpen it a bit, basically make it look like a model. Is that even possible? lol The reason I need to use this photo is it is the only one I have of myself with hair extensions in. My website is for hair extensions, so I feel this image is necessary. I do not currently have them in and do not want to put them back in for one picture. They are too long lasting for that.
Can anyone help me please? If not, can someone give me detailed instructions to do so in photoshop elements 9? Thank you!!

Attachments

• 20141025_190302.jpg
    20141025_190302.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 9

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PSG is fundamentally a discussion forum. While we don't mind requests for free edits, we prefer to guide and instruct new members on how to accomplish techniques or effects in Photoshop on their own.

I noticed in your intro, you mention that you were using Elements. Just so we are all on the same page, are you wanting this image edited for you or are you wanting help in doing it yourself?

If your requesting that this be done for you, there will be members here who are willing to help you out, but due to varying time zones, this may take a while so please be patient.

hairmaiden

Thank you for the reply!
In all honestly, I am trying to make it easy for whomever would volunteer to help. If it is easier to give instructions on how I can improve the photo to be online media worthy, I will happily take it. I would like to become more knowledgeable in elements. If someone feels they would like volunteer to edit it themselves, that would be great too. So my answer is, either way I will be happy.
I am beyond frustrated trying to do it without guidance.

Rich54

Guru
Hi,
I took a shot at your makeover. Unfortunately, the original image is out of focus, so I could only take sharpening so far without making it look unnatural. Here are the major steps I took:
1. I cropped the image because nearly 50% of the frame is empty space above your head. I cropped in proportion to an 8x10 portrait.
2. I made a selection of just you, so that I could separate you from the background. Selecting the edges of the hair is always the hard part of this.
3. The background was way too busy and unattractive, so I got rid of it entirely and substituted a stone wall. This can be easily changed to anything at all.
4. I took the redness out of your skin and then increased the saturation and vibrance. I tried to lighten and enhance your hair, which seems to be the point of the photo.
5. I added eye make-up, which admittedly I'm not very good at, plus I don't know your taste. It's easily changed.

Now the really hard part... figuring out how to attach an image to this post.

Hairmaiden Retouch.jpg

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Good work. I ran this through Topaz's Djpg filter and removed some of the noise. Maybe a bit better.
Hairmaiden Retouch.png

hairmaiden

ALB68,

I ran it through a noise reducer, but this version is better. Lol thank you! Where can I find that filter?
Thanks again!

Ste Crook

A great tip I learnt which can easily soften skin tones etc is copy the layer, add a Gauzzian blur to about 6 pixels then use the screen layer filer, this will then soften all the tones in the image easily and in a non destructive way.

A great tip I learnt which can easily soften skin tones etc is copy the layer, add a Gauzzian blur to about 6 pixels then use the screen layer filer, this will then soften all the tones in the image easily and in a non destructive way.

Please post your image. I'm very interested to learn your technique.

Ste Crook

Please post your image. I'm very interested to learn your technique.

I dont think its the best photo for using this style, but you can see how it smooths out the skin tones
Original Image Rotated and Cropped:
1.jpg

Using Multiply with a copy of it blurred to around 6 behind it:
2.jpg

Using Screen with a copy of it blurred to around 6 behind it:
3.jpg

As I say, its not perfect but its a quick and easy way to smooth out images and tweak the colours slightly

Tom Mann

Guru
To further explain Chris' comment, the method you suggested is probably the single largest source of badly retouched skin on the internet, no matter the quality of the original. Unfortunately, it has been floating around beginner's Photoshop forums since the 90's, and gets re-propagated by folks who don't know the difference between retouching and a gauze-like special effect. It is almost impossible to find any combination of opacity and Gaussian radius that is acceptable for retouching, except, perhaps, in certain unusual situations (eg, an oversharpened original, small areas of a face, etc.).

There are many better methods available. Unfortunately, I'm busy until late tonight, but when I get back home, if someone else hasn't already provided you with links, I'll try to look up some good tutorials for you. Also, FYI, Chrisdesign is a master of portrait retouching, and has done it professionally for many years.

Cheers,

Tom M