What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I achieve this dotted/sprinkled effect?

burakace

Hi, the image I have attached has a white dotted/sprinkled effect rather than a solid color. As you can see the dots are more dense in some areas, so I assume its not a fill pattern. Is it a brush that was applied more in some areas? or is it a large transparent image with random white specks applied as a new layer to the whole image, as the effect is also applied to the font.

sampleeffeect.png

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
When zoomed in, looks like everything is dusty, except for white, even the text and other colored shapes have it.

I recreated this by creating a topmost layer filled black and applying the Add Noise filter at 40% amount and set to Uniform and Monochromatic. I then set the layer to screen and lowered opacity.

Noise.jpg

It looks kinda different but don't forget your image looks resized and underwent pixelation. I created the above with a resolution of 72.

Give it a try and play with the filter and layer settings.

burakace

Thanks for that, ill try that now but in some areas the effect is more dense, wouldn't your method have the effect evenly everywhere?

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
The "dust" will be dense most especially in darker areas. I think I lowered the opacity to 35%. At 50 its more denser. When in the Noise filter callout, you'll see that some areas in the preview are dense than others. It may need trial and error to get the amount you want but maybe you'll be satisfied on the first try.....

Hope this works for you. Post the result......

btw.... to get the dust grains sized to match your sample image, I had to resize up the noise layer. I dunno if this will look good on what you'll be doing but give it a try as well.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I used a brush with shape dynamics and scattering turned on. Lowered the opacity to about 60%.

Screen Shot 2014-11-17 at 12.44.58 AM.png