What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

saving transparent

pslane

Hello,
I am still in the learning mode with Photoshop. I've run across something I am clueless about. How to save a transparent png or gif. I saved it like I do in PSP but when I posted it on another forum, it has a black background. Can you explain to me how to save it transparent the right way?

Thanks-
pslane

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This matter was discussed at length here a while back. I can't seem to find the thread. I don't remember what the solution for the problem turned out to be. I will continue searching for the thread.

MrToM

Guru
Do you know for sure if your image is saved with transparency?

I ask that as even though the image may have transparency the application or browser its displayed in / on may not support it.

Some forums may not support transparency so it matters not a jot which browser you use. They will also 'replace' any transparent pixels with a solid colour....in your example, black. White is the more common colour but it could be anything.

This of course does also depend on how you save your images.

Saving using "Save For Web..." is the preferred method...its what it is for....displaying images on the web with or without transparency.

GIF's only have on / off transparency. Any 'gradient' in it like a drop shadow for instance will have the background replaced with a solid colour....normally white. The drop shadow would still be there but over a white background not the page background.....this is why you sometimes see animated gifs with a nasty white 'fringe'.

PNG's are two-sided....PNG-8 acts much like GIF's...swapping the 'gradient' transparency for a solid colour.
PNG-24 though does the full transparancy without any problem.

JPEG's just dont do transparency, period.

So to ensure your image is good for all types of transparency use "Save For Web..." and PNG-24.

This wont of course mean it'll work on all forums in all browsers.....forums do convert uploaded images into a format they prefer regardless of you using PNG-24.....thus it removes all your hard work by re-placing the transparent pixels with a solid colour.....the one you used as an example obviously does this and uses 'black' as the replacement colour.

transparency_A_01.png

The above image is a PNG-24 image.....the right side is transparent and if you use the PSG-Dark theme you'll see the dark background....white if you any other theme.
The images on the left show the way different formats handle transparency.

Regards.
MrTom.

pslane

I have tried the Save for Web with png 24, also gif. I've tried everything I know how to try. I am familiar with saving transparent in other graphic software and never had a problem posting transparent to this particular forum with them.

To Iamsam: Thanks for looking for the other posts. I will look for it, also.

Thanks,
pslane

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
I have tried the Save for Web with png 24, also gif. I've tried everything I know how to try. I am familiar with saving transparent in other graphic software and never had a problem posting transparent to this particular forum with them.

To Iamsam: Thanks for looking for the other posts. I will look for it, also.

Thanks,

pslane

Post the image here and let us look at it if possible.