What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you show me how to duplicate this text effect?

denno

Hi there. First-timer here. Please redirect me if this isn't the right department.
I maintain and upgrade a website for some musician friends of mine. An *actual* artist-designer did the original. I managed to take his main page header, preserve the two names in the upper right, and I can make new page headers with the same font and a partial rendering of the same effect. But I can't get the whole shebang.

Can't see how to insert a pic, so I will attach one. The only part I can get is Bevel and Emboss. Dunno what the rest of the process is. (Also he seems to have used a fatter (bold?) version of Monotype Corsiva than I'm getting in PS. Maybe he made it outside. Maybe he modified it thru the magic of science. Maybe it's Maybelline.

In the end, I could maybe get back to the artist, or have my friends ask him to make a header here and there, but I'm wondering if someone here can reverse-engineer the text effect.

Thanks,
denno

denno

didn't upload the pic

Attachments

• SP-logo--black-libraries.jpg
    SP-logo--black-libraries.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 29

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I don't think it's Kokuryu either.

But he may have probably used the magic retouch of a BRUSH tool and added illusion from a layer mode.

S&P.jpg

After applying the bevel effects, hold down CTRL+Shift and click the text layers to select all the text contents. Doing this you'll see the marching ants. Careful not to deselect.

Create a new layer above text layers.

Select a medium size soft edge brush and using desired color, stroke the top then the bottom areas. Do each stoke in one sweeping continuous sideways and down motion. CTRL+D to deselect ants....

Set the layer opacity to MULITPLY. Lower the opacity a bit if you find the color too dark to your taste.

Hope this helps....

PS... the text he used is normal. Try adjusting the Bevel effect as too much makes it appear thinner.....

The above outline is a basic version. There are advanced ways but I don't want to complicate things for you as you may be a Photoshop rookie.

The above was created in PS7 but will apply with later PS versions.

denno

Thank you. I'll mess with that tonight. I've been using photoshop for years. I am a rookie!

denno

Really not bad (by my standards).
So, okay, in the original, Sonny & Perley, there is, for instance a highlight on the P, also, for instance, the y. The whole thing looks a little more 3D, too.
Can I go up a step?

(THANKS! Fun)

Attachments

• SP-logo-album-black.gif
    SP-logo-album-black.gif
    36.8 KB · Views: 20
  • SP-logo-agency-2.jpg
    SP-logo-agency-2.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 20

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Really not bad (by my standards).
So, okay, in the original, Sonny & Perley, there is, for instance a highlight on the P, also, for instance, the y. The whole thing looks a little more 3D, too.
Can I go up a step?

(THANKS! Fun)

.... That would be in the bevel and emboss settings. play around with the pillow emboss , hilight/level settings and light direction settings.

denno

Oh---was gonna ask you that---when I double-click on the layer I only get a check box to bevel/emboss. No settings. How do I get to them? (PS 7.0)

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Oh---was gonna ask you that---when I double-click on the layer I only get a check box to bevel/emboss. No settings. How do I get to them? (PS 7.0)

Clicking the text layer itself brings you to the Layer Style Settings - specifically the Blending Options. Click on Bevel/Emboss to display its settings.

If you click the arrow pointer in the layer to show the layer effects in it and click Bevel and Emboss, it takes you direct to the Layer Style's effect settings -.

BevelSettings.jpg