What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to make an object of image to apply patterns

hno2005

hello,

let's say I have a picture like this :
547dd51daf88e.png
and I want to make a model or a map or something which allow me to apply different patterns easily to make the following image of that by applying pattern:

Untitled-1.png

I think I need to make a 3d model or something which allow me to apply the patterns correctly according to the orientation and other factors.
How should I do that?

Thanks

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Hi there.

You may need a 3d modelling application in order to create a model. If you're unable to do 3d modelling, you can download a 3d render application where you can load 3d model freebies that you can find in the net.

If your computer's graphic card supports it, you can also load textures on a 3d model in CS6 extended. Here's a couple of tutorials to give you an idea how it's done.

http://www.textureszone.com/tutoria...p-create-and-edit-textures-for-3d-models.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9rYGwztN8Q

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I don't know if this is what your looking for, but this is how I have done it in the past.
Some might suggest converting your selections into smart objects, by doing this you still have to deal with the original color and pattern. This is why I prefer creating templates.
Once you have your templates, shading, and highlights (all on separate layers) you can quickly change the fabric by clipping in a new fabric layer.

This is a GIF.

GraysonChairOrigGIF_02.gif

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Here's another example in addition to Sam's image.....

You can also apply textures to objects in an image like for instance a car dashboard. This was done for a request here some time back....

DashWork01.jpg

This is more hands on intensive in Photoshop as you have to cut/create mask templates and paste/clip the material (so to speak), distort the texture to follow the object angles and use a combination of layer modes to blend in the material to the image dashboard sections and match the hilite reflections and shadows in the original image.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK, using smart objects, you can make quick fabric changes to the templates.

I made a quick example.

Here is a object (sofa or a chair) that I have covered with a fabric.

Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 1.54.52 PM.png
I used templates just as I did above.

Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 1.49.57 PM.png

I then opened a fabric texture in the document, made a duplicate, and placed one each above the template layers.
I converted each of the fabric layers to smart objects. (note: I did not make the templates into smart objects)
I clipped the fabric layers to the template layers.
I lowered the fabric layers opacity so I could see the template through it. Return it when done.
I then used the transform function (Cmd/Cntrl+T) to fit the fabric to the template.

Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 1.50.37 PM.png

I then added a shading layer for the end template.

Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 1.51.12 PM.png

If you want to change the fabric of one of the templates, highlight the fabric layer clipped to the template you wish to change.
Right click the fabric layer and select 'New smart object via copy'. If you use Cmd/Cntrl + J....IT WILL NOT WORK.

Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 1.57.04 PM.png

Select/Highlight the newly copied smart object layer.
Go to LAYER > SMART OBJECTS > REPLACE CONTENTS.
Choose a fabric texture file that you wish to add.
The newly added smart object layer will update along with the same 'transform' that you had on the original.
You may have to adjust/transform the new fabric slightly................but not much.

Here I have added two extra fabric options to the end template.

Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 2.22.00 PM.png

Fabric 2

Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 2.19.52 PM.png

Fabric 3

Screen Shot 2014-12-02 at 2.23.03 PM.png

ibclare

Queen Bee
Very god instructions and examples dv8 and Sam. I especially love the first animation you made Sam. Cool, even if it weren't a tut, it would be fun to watch. Skilled, artistic, sigh.
:thumbsup:

hno2005

I don't know if this is what your looking for, but this is how I have done it in the past.Some might suggest converting your selections into smart objects, by doing this you still have to deal with the original color and pattern. This is why I prefer creating templates.Once you have your templates, shading, and highlights (all on separate layers) you can quickly change the fabric by clipping in a new fabric layer.This is a GIF.View attachment 51019
But How should I convert my selection into smart objects which enable me to change the fabric according to the surface and orientation?Thanks

hno2005

Here's another example in addition to Sam's image..... You can also apply textures to objects in an image like for instance a car dashboard. This was done for a request here some time back....View attachment 51021This is more hands on intensive in Photoshop as you have to cut/create mask templates and paste/clip the material (so to speak), distort the texture to follow the object angles and use a combination of layer modes to blend in the material to the image dashboard sections and match the hilite reflections and shadows in the original image.
Could you explain in details and steps ,Please?Because i'm not a designer and I 'm a web designer.Thanks

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
hno2005 said:
But How should I convert my selection into smart objects which enable me to change the fabric according to the surface and orientation?Thanks

You don't! You convert the fabric layers as I explained in post #5. Please read, thanks.

hno2005

You don't! You convert the fabric layers as I explained in post #5. Please read, thanks.

I don't know much about photoshop.
It's one of my patterns :
ZAFIRO_14.jpg

and I need to apply that to my first image of my first post and according to the surface and angle the pattern should Apply perfectly.How should I do this?

Thanks

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Could you explain in details and steps ,Please?Because i'm not a designer and I 'm a web designer.Thanks

Sorry.... I saw this earlier but was tending to something else here......

It's somewhat similar to Sam's outline except that I created it in PS7 at the time and I used layer masks.

There's could be different ways to do this. All the outputs may look similar but all boils down on the route the individual takes to achieve it.

Here's the texture needed ...
View attachment 51038

This next image shows all the layers in the work file. I disabled the layer masks and removed effects on some layer sections of the dash. One ugly mess but that's how it is in a typical layered document.

Dash00.jpg

The masks are the layer icons with an X on it (disabled). These are like cutouts of the corresponding dashboard sections to be used to show needed areas and hide unwanted areas. The creation of masks was the first step in the work flow in preparing the image for texturing.

Dash01.jpg

Here is a closeup of center console and the layers that make up the area. You'll notice apart from a mask, I've used a copy of the texture needed for the console. This layer was set to Multiply Layer mode and opacity lowered. Other texture layer copies in the document are set to various layer modes and opacities.

If you'll notice, there's 2 copies of the original dashboard image below the linked layers. These were set at different layer modes to give the entire image a color corrected and light balanced look.

Dash02.jpg

Here's another view of the document... this time the left and right dash. Layer masking is used here and the groups clipped to show the texture in its proper place less unneeded parts.

As mentioned, there could be other ways to do this. Thinking and playing with the file much later, I found other ways to pull off the same look but with less layers. But as this was needed ASAP at the time, I worked to the finish with what I started.

All this was meant to show you how to add a texture to an object or objects in an image.

This may not make sense to you. You need to know the basics about the use of layers and its modes, creation of masks layers and how to combine them together.

If not, whatever we advise here won't be understood by you.

hno2005

Thanks .
I learned how to change the pattern easily on surfaces. thank to the replies.
My question has two part and I think I have not asked clear.

The first part that I have missed to ask is this.

I have this image :
11.jpg

and a pattern like this:
PARALELO_72.jpg

and I want to have the following result:
22.jpg

how should I do that?Applying that pattern to the first image according to the angle and surface.

Thanks

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
You're getting there....

Use the transform tools (CTRL+T) to decrease (or increase) the size of the textures and to warp/distort it to fit the cushion. Hold down CTRL or CTRL+SHIFT so you can skew or distort the tex to the angle of the cushion and to get it to look proportionate.

cushiontex.jpg

I tiled your texture image to have larger sized material.

As for the edge curves you can use the warp transform on a horizontal strip of material and warp it into place.

I have to go out for a while but will be back in a bit.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yep, we're getting there.

Let me explain my use of templates.

When you use a clipping mask to add the fabric to the template, you can extend the fabric beyond the template when your using the transform function. This allows you to get a better and more accurate fit!

Step 1

Use your Pen Tool to make a selection of the end of the cushion.

Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 8.49.42 AM.png

On a new layer, fill the selection with white..............this is your template.

Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 8.54.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 9.34.17 AM.png

Step 2

Add the fabric layer above the template layer. Right click the fabric layer and and choose 'create clipping mask'. You will see the angled arrow pointing to the layer below appear on the fabric layer.

Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 9.36.58 AM.png

Select the fabric layer.
Hit Command/Control + T to enter the transform function.
Manipulate the fabric into the position you desire using the technique described by dv8..........

NOTICE THAT I HAVE EXTENDED THE FABRIC BEYOND THE TEMPLATE. I don't have match the cushion perfectly because I have already done this with the Pen Tool and the template!
Click the checkmark or hit enter to accept the changes.

Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 8.55.13 AM.png

Create a new layer. Repeat the same steps for the side and top of the cushion.

Side

Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 9.04.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 9.07.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 9.11.55 AM.png

Use the warp feature when transforming the top fabric.

Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 9.23.21 AM.png

Done.
Next we will have to shade the fabric.

Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 9.25.24 AM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Time for shading.

Hit the D key on your keyboard to reset your foreground and background colors to the default black and white.
Make sure black is your foreground color. You can toggle them with the X key.

Select your Gradient Tool. Set your Gradient Tools preset to foreground to transparent by clicking on the gradient editor in the toolbar options, then select the second preset in on the top left.

Create a new layer above the 'End Fabric layer'.
Command/Control + click the 'End Template' layers thumbnail to make a selection.

Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 9.53.48 AM.png

Make sure the new layer is highlighted/active.

Use the Gradient Tool to create your gradient.

Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 9.54.22 AM.png

Hit Command/Control + D to deselect.
Lower the opacity to satisfaction.

Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 9.55.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 9.56.19 AM.png

Repeat the steps above for the side and top.

Side

Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 9.57.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 9.57.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 9.59.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 9.59.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 9.59.28 AM.png

Also, while the selection is active, on a new layer, use the Brush Tool to add the extra shading to the top of the cushion.

Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 10.02.22 AM.png

Lower the opacity.............done.

Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 10.03.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 9.58.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 9.56.19 AM.png

Last edited:

hno2005

Time for shading.Hit the D key on your keyboard to reset your foreground and background colors to the default black and white.Make sure black is your foreground color. You can toggle them with the X key.Select your Gradient Tool. Set your Gradient Tools preset to foreground to transparent by clicking on the gradient editor in the toolbar options, then select the second preset in on the top left.Create a new layer above the 'End Fabric layer'.Command/Control + click the 'End Template' layers thumbnail to make a selection.View attachment 51063Make sure the new layer is highlighted/active.Use the Gradient Tool to create your gradient.View attachment 51064Hit Command/Control + D to deselect.Lower the opacity to satisfaction.View attachment 51065View attachment 51066Repeat the steps above for the side and top.SideView attachment 51067View attachment 51068View attachment 51069TopView attachment 51069View attachment 51070Also, while the selection is active, on a new layer, use the Brush Tool to add the extra shading to the top of the cushion.View attachment 51071Lower the opacity.............done.View attachment 51072View attachment 51073View attachment 51066
I found a problem .Let's say the width of our object is 40C.m and out pattern is 12cm*10cm .Now ,How should we apply pattern to the object according to the scale of sofa and pattern?

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
I found a problem .Let's say the width of our object is 40C.m and out pattern is 12cm*10cm .Now ,How should we apply pattern to the object according to the scale of sofa and pattern?

That's entirely up to you. If you have the actual material in hand, it can be measured and fit to scale on the model. But if it's just a small material swat image, it's guesswork.

A second option is to tile your image swat like I mentioned in post #13.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As I have been demonstrating (post #14) the fabric swatch has been transformed using the transform function, Cmd/Cntrl + T or EDIT > FREE TRANSFORM. You will use the transform to make the fabric swatch and the pattern on the fabric swatch the size and scale you desire.

I briefly mention this in post #14,.......When you use a clipping mask to add the fabric to the template, you can extend the fabric beyond the template when your using the transform function. This allows you to get a better and more accurate fit!.....

If you have a large high resolution image of your fabric, you have the ability to scale the fabric swatch using transform. Your swatch should always be a large file!

Screen Shot 2014-12-08 at 10.19.06 AM.png

Here is the fabric swatch clipped to the template.
I have entered the transform function so you can see the transform handles.

Screen Shot 2014-12-08 at 10.19.57 AM.png

Here I have now SCALED the fabric swatch to the size and scale I desire for the template.

Screen Shot 2014-12-08 at 10.20.30 AM.png

I agree with dv8, if your fabric swatch is small, you can tile the swatch.

Here is a video that covers this matter.....

Last edited:

hno2005

As I have been demonstrating (post #14) the fabric swatch has been transformed using the transform function, Cmd/Cntrl + T or EDIT > FREE TRANSFORM. You will use the transform to make the fabric swatch and the pattern on the fabric swatch the size and scale you desire. I briefly mention this in post #14,.......When you use a clipping mask to add the fabric to the template, you can extend the fabric beyond the template when your using the transform function. This allows you to get a better and more accurate fit!.....If you have a large high resolution image of your fabric, you have the ability to scale the fabric swatch using transform. Your swatch should always be a large file!View attachment 51297Here is the fabric swatch clipped to the template. I have entered the transform function so you can see the transform handles.View attachment 51298Here I have now SCALED the fabric swatch to the size and scale I desire for the template.View attachment 51299I agree with dv8, if your fabric swatch is small, you can tile the swatch.Here is a video that covers this matter.....
Thanks,Actually it has to be in tile style because it should have repeated pattern .