What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HDR Protocol ?

TimothyKim

I have some past HDR images from merging identical images at different shutters. However, I can't seem to open the past composite back into Camera Raw. Any suggestions?

Steve

Retired Administrator
What's the file extension.
If it's a merged image it;s no longer a RAW image.
If it's a TIFF or a JPG it can be opened in bridge but it needs to be enabled.

In Bridge go to Edit|Camera Raw Preferences and enable those file types.

Or are we talking about something else?

Tom Mann

Guru
To ask Steve's question in a different way, by any chance, did you save your HDR file in one of the 32 bit per channel HDR formats (eg, *.HDR, *.EXR, etc., ) or did you, in your HDR program, apply the final efx and convert it to a normal image like a JPG, TIF, or even a PSD file?

Tom M

TimothyKim

This may be sub-optimal technique, but I always import into PShop. So all of may HDR's are PSD's. The original files I use are always Nikon's NEF format. Thx for your help!

TimothyKim

I was unaware of other available saving file extension formats, so all are my HDR's are saved as PSD's which I thought was the favored format for ultimate flexibility in other image Pshop functionalities.

Steve

Retired Administrator
There's nothing wrong with saving it as a PSD but you can't open a PSD in ACR
You need to Save As and select Tiff.
You also need to discard the layers to open in ACR

MikeMc

McGuru
If you saved the original images as layers in your PSD, AND the original images were originally opened in ACR then you can re open the individual layers in ACR .

That said why do you want to use ACR for post processing ? Tom Mann has got me using ACR before I open it up in PS, I rarely go back after to change, BUT my images are shot in RAW with a Pentax, so everything flows through ACR

Steve

Retired Administrator
If you saved the original images as layers in your PSD, AND the original images were originally opened in ACR then you can re open the individual layers in ACR .

That said why do you want to use ACR for post processing ? Tom Mann has got me using ACR before I open it up in PS, I rarely go back after to change, BUT my images are shot in RAW with a Pentax, so everything flows through ACR
I've only done a few HDR's mostly out of curiosity but HDR's bypasses ACR at least when done through Bridge (if I remember correctly).
As to reopening a single layer in ACR I think you need to be using PSCC.
I'm using PSCS6 and I don't see that option.

Tom Mann

Guru
Another question, Tim: Are you using Photoshop's built-in HDR tools, or are you using some third-party program that specializes in HDR work, eg, Photomatix?

Tom M