What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Make the best output of this picture

Navid Hekmat

Hey guys (and girls if any :D )

I need som brainstorming here. I have attached a NEF file that you all can play with. I wonder what you guys can come up with as the best final result of this image. It can be hard to see other viewers result sometimes..so i just want to know what you guys can come up with. Actually i think this file is fun to play with, since you have to control shadows, highlights, color balance, vibrance, sharpness etc. I see that i could have taken away the white that appears on the window, but this i dont know how. Anyone?

I have attached both NEF and my result. Besides, what do you think?

Here is the NEF file

www.fotoexperten.no/livingRoom/DSC_8461.NEF

What is yours?
DSC_8461-9.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_8461-resized.jpg
    DSC_8461-resized.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • DSC_8461-7.jpg
    DSC_8461-7.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

Tom Mann

Guru
I love Chris' changes. However, they should have been incorporated at the time of shooting by better, less flat lighting, instead of after the fact in PS.

I also think the starting composition could have been better. The way it is, my eye is led right out of the right hand side of the frame by the diverging horizontal lines.

Specifically, I would have moved the camera a meter or so to the right, and aimed the camera more towards the sofa. I would have also reduced the level of lighting on the exterior (window) wall. Both changes would make the windows were less visually prominent.

Finally, for an architectural / interior shot like this, I would have more accurately corrected the very small remaining lens distortion / diverging verticals.

Just my $0.02,

Tom M

Last edited:

Navid Hekmat

I liked your version chris..very good. I never thought of this way. Could you upload the psd file or let know specifically what you did for to make it look like this. I want to learn :).

iDad

Guru
I love Chris' changes. However, they should have been incorporated at the time of shooting by better, less flat lighting, instead of after the fact in PS.
Tom M

Isn't that what PS is for?

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
I like Chris's. He's tha go to guy for good color and other work. I like a warmer tone overall, so I did this.
room.PNG

Navid Hekmat

Great larry, but for me it didnt work..the whole picture got affected with that tone. But offcourse different taste..and its interesting. It actually gives another feeling both of the pictures. I think it became more soft compared to chris?. I liked the beam of light he created on the roof light and the wall light.

Correct me if am wrong, but i guess he just changed the layer mode to Colour burn, and then used some dogde and he created a mask to reveal some back.

Oh..besides som lighting effect from Filter - Render

Last edited:
I liked your version chris..very good. I never thought of this way. Could you upload the psd file or let know specifically what you did for to make it look like this. I want to learn :).

I tried to upload the psd file as an attachment. Doesn't work, though it is smaller than 30 mb. What am I doing wrong? Maybe a moderator can help?

MrToM

Guru
I tried to upload the psd file as an attachment. Doesn't work, though it is smaller than 30 mb. What am I doing wrong? Maybe a moderator can help?

If you zip the file it should work.

Sometimes the forum just doesn't accept psd's, it's happened before.

Must be a gilhct in the system.

Regards.
MrTom.