What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brushes doesn´t work on actions

I have a problem doing actions.
This is what I am trying to do.

Open file
New layer
Paint the new layer 100% black
Then use a brush to clear certain areas on the new layer
Merge image
Save image
Stop action

When I apply this action, the images I get are completely black. I believe the brush didn´t work.

Any reasons?

Thanks

MikeMc

McGuru
What are you merging ? If you merge the all black layer with the others, I suspect the black will cover everything.

Much more info is needed to be certain, you could post your PSD before you start the recording

Screen Shot 2014-12-12 at 23.06.34.png
What are you merging ? If you merge the all black layer with the others, I suspect the black will cover everything.

Much more info is needed to be certain, you could post your PSD before you start the recording

What I do with the brush, it´s to select the clear mode, click on the new layer and make a clear space, so I can see the background image. Then I merge the image, so I am able to se part of the background. This does't work when I do an action.

I am attaching a quick example I did.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, brushes do work in actions.

You need to have CS6 or higher though.

Thank you Ian for your reply.
I can use a normal brush on actions without a problem. The problem is when I want to use a brush on mode clear. I activated the tool recording option but still not working. Once again, I can use a brush on normal mode on actions...

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Pedro, the BRUSH TOOL set to CLEAR does WORK in an ACTION!!!!! I have tested it about 5 times and it works every single time!

Screen Shot 2014-12-13 at 8.03.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-12-13 at 8.30.20 AM.png

Here's how I made the action.

Open image

Set your Brush Tool Painting mode to CLEAR and adjust your brush size to the size you desire.

Create a action. (I start here because this is where I wish to start the action)

Create new layer

Fill with Black

Select the Brush Tool

Click the brush where I want the clear ellipse to appear.

Select/Highlight both layers

Hit Cmd/Cntrl + J to duplicate

Hit Cmd/Cntrl + E to merge

Stop action.

Here's the trick, when you run the action on a new image, provided the dimension of the new image is the same, set the brush tools painting mode to clear and the brush size before you start the action on a new image.

Last edited:
This is exactly what I do, except setting the brush on clear mode before starting the action. I can only set the clear mode when I have an opened image with more than one layer...

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Good, then it will work for you.

edit: sorry just understood what you might be trying to say here.............I can only set the clear mode when I have an opened image with more than one layer.........

You can set the brush tool to clear mode with only one empty layer, you do not need more.

Last edited:
Almost there!! Now the action works for the first picture, then the brush goes back to normal mode and I get a black image. That´s the problem, the brush mode settings...

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Pedro said:
Now the action works for the first picture, then the brush goes back to normal mode and I get a black image.
We have covered this problem already!

IamSam from post #6 said:
Here's the trick, when you run the action on a new image, provided the dimension of the new image is the same, set the brush tools painting mode to clear and the brush size before you start the action on a new image.

The painting mode becomes a bit tricky when going from one image to the next. That's why I explained that you must check and/or set the brush tools painting mode to CLEAR before you start the action action on a new image.