What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toggle Between ACR and PS ??

Robes

Hello All-

I don't understand how to go back & forth between ACR and PS with Raw (Nef) files. From ACR (after basic edits) I open to PS as "smart objects" having saved the last ACR settings before so, as a "snapshop" in ACR. This 1st snapshot is always available to the end. Once in PS I create a new Levels adjustment layer (for color correction) then return to ACR for further edits. After my final edits in ACR I take a snapshot. I now hit the OK button to return to PS for any final edits and "Save As" from there.

It doesn't matter if layers are merged or flattened before the save to Tif from PS, but when I go back into ACR I don't have a snapshot of the last edits I made within ACR, only the very first snapshot of the basics.

Why can't I save my last edits from ACR as snapshots within ACR before going to PS to save?

I would like to toggle between the two programs and save the edits in ACR snapshots within the original Raw file, yet be able to access the first snapshot that is the untouched raw file. I would like to do the edits, keep them, and retain an original raw file. I don't see how to do it going between ACR & PS.

This was a horribly confusing question to write, I did my best to explain it. Thanks for any suggestions at all.... :cool2:

**:mrgreen:** iMac 27" - Mavericks 10.9.5; Photoshop CS5 Extended - ACR 6.7; FCPX 10.1.4;

Robes-

Tom Mann

Guru
I'm not sure why your last snapshot isn't showing up, but here's a couple of (yeah, annoying) work-arounds to try:

a) Save the ACR state as a preset instead of a snapshot.

b) Before leaving ACR, save your most recent edits to a temporary file, then return to PS. You can then throw away the temporary file. I think that doing this should force ACR to update the xmp sidecar file so that when you come back into ACR from PS, it should have your latest snapshot.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time at the moment to try this myself, but please let us know if this works or you find out what's actually causing the problem

Best regards,

Tom M

thebestcpu

Guru
Tag teaming with Tom here.

Hi Robes. I think you explained your problem quite well. Are you still on CS5 with ACR 6.7 per your signature? I can go back and check on that combination if needed.

When using PS CC I do not see the same issue as you. All snapshots are preserved and other than creating the snapshot it is always there once created no matter if I do saves in PS or even closing all files are reopening. So a mystery why there is trouble on your end. Possible a CS5/ACR 6.7 issue so will have to check it out.

Note that there are several items to consider yet don't know why they would cause an issue.

- In your Camera Raw preferences (opened in PS or ACR), you have an option to either save a Raw edits in a sidecar XMP file or Camera Raw database. I prefer to use XMP files because the Camera RAW database is accessible to Adobe Bridge yet not Lightroom and I also use Lightroom. If you are not using Lightroom this should not be an issue.

- Also note, that in the upper right corner of the Snapshots panel there is a dropdown where there is an option to force all raw settings to XMP (even if you have them all stored to the Camera Raw database). This will force a copy out to XMP as well.

Unfortunately, neither of those explain why your snapshots are saved (at least for me).

Any chance you are using DNG files? What type of raw file are you using?

Still a mystery as it works on my setup.

thebestcpu

Guru
Just as an FYI, I also tried this on my copy of PS CS5 and I had no issues there either. Sorry I could not have been of more help.

Robes

Thanks for the idea’s Tom and bestcpu-

In reply to questions:

** I’m using CS5 and ACR 6.7, Nikons .NEF (not DNG), I save raw edits in the XMP sidecar per ACR Pref’s, I don’t use Lightroom. As for forcing/exporting to XMP via ACR “snapshots” drop down menue, I’ve tried every combo of that with and without using presets (I saw you can do it with presets also) exporting this way never made any difference, in any combo with snapshots and/or presets.
Tom, not sure what you mean by “b)” saving to a temporary file. I’m guessing it doesn’t matter since the saving a preset does work, and is probably easiest.

Here is what I found with my system:

Snapshots & Presets
After saving a .NEF file as a .tif in CS5, ACR saves all snapshots prior to opening the NEF as a smart object in CS5, (not necessary to “export settings to XMP”). This is also true if you return to ACR 6.7 to save from ACR “Save Image” button.
Up until the point of saving an image in CS5 or ACR, ACR will save all snapshots made before and after originally opening the NEF as a smart object into CS5, once it’s saved (using CS5 or ACR) only snapshots before opening as a smart object are retained in ACR (all presets are saved no matter when made).

Creating Presets are the only way to save steps after a smart object has been created (exporting to XMP will not force it’s identical snapshot to save after saving as .tif). When you reopen the original NEF (after editing & saving a copy) I have the snapshots made prior to opening as a smart object and the presets made before and after the created smart object.

At least I know how to make it work for me so I retain 1 original and a few steps till I’m done with the file.

One other point……
I assume this is true for those not on the CC also. A real drag, every time you come back to ACR from CS5 you can’t see any of the photoshop edits in ACR. It requires lots of back/forth & quessing to tweak things unseen.Guess it all comes with developing a work flow-

Thanks for your input, it was a help-
Robes

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Robes
With your detailed explanation of the symptoms you experience I may have a possible answer for what is going on.

When you have a Smart Ojbect opened in PS, a copy of the original Raw file is placed in PS. This is because when you save a PSD or TIFF, the raw file is also embedded in that PSD/TIFF file. Any editing you do once the raw is embedded in PS will only affect the embedded file and not the original Raw file.

In CC and beyond you can link files into PS instead of just embed yet that is for another topic.

Hope this helps.