What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photoshop CC offset filter margin

rompelstilchen

Hello,

I usualy uses Gimp for this but I wanted to give a try with photoshop CC
I want to create a seamless texture, so I use the offset filter
but check the image, on second aplication of the offset filter, it creates a strange margin for noapparent reason, ruining the texture

offset.png

Here I use smart objects, but I tried with a simple white canvas, drew black lines onf it and applied the filter twice, I dont have the problem

does anyone knows what would be the problem ? I tried restarting PS and reloading the image but same problem

regards

Last edited:

rompelstilchen

apparently on another forum, ssomeone said one had to use crop to remove extra pixels, now why the f@#k would there be extra pixel especialy when I draw in the middle of the image ??

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome.

I find that mine does this as well. Give me some time to see if I can figure out what's going on.

Screen Shot 2014-12-21 at 5.24.11 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Try using the transform function on the image and enter the exact canvas size before you use offset.

Screen Shot 2014-12-21 at 5.40.53 PM.png

MrToM

Guru
I can't replicate the problem....can someone attach a 'fawlty' PSD for testing please?

Regards.
MrTom.

thebestcpu

Guru
I agree with IamSam

I recreating the problem if I did a crop of the image with the Crop Tool yet did not use the option to delete pixels.

The Offset Filter when rotating pixels will pull them out of the entire canvas whether part is hidden or not.

Not sure this is your issue yet thought it was worth mentioning.

John

Paula F Zanini

Hi there! Did anyone got the solution for this? I am having the same trouble here! :neutral:
Sorry thebestcpu, could you explain it to me again your solution?I did not get it.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi there! Did anyone got the solution for this? I am having the same trouble here! :neutral:
Sorry thebestcpu, could you explain it to me again your solution?I did not get it.

See post #4, this solved the problem for me.

Paula F Zanini

WoW! Thank you very much everybody. :cheesygrin: I had to sweat to find my issue for this one. The thing is: The problem started in Illustrator.
I had exported a Illustrator file to Photoshop as a png to accomplish my seamless pattern. But I had this seamless pattern made in the Illustrator with the "Object /Pattern/ Make" tool.
In another forum, this guy gave the answer to my problems with this:

"The more complex the pattern, the more outlines seem to appear around the main pattern. These outlines indicate a single tile and/or sometimes a small cluster of repeating tiles in its overall matrix. A glitch that can be solved by minimizing spatial distance by rounding off those numbers with many decimal places in the HSPACING AND VSPACING (ie: .5672 can be rounded up to .6). This helps create a good starting place, before dancing around incrementing whole numbers to find your pattern's "sweet spot" where all outlines disappear. If you need to, you can work your way into numbers utilizing two decimal places such as quarters, before working deeper down into smaller fractions. This absolutely fixed my issue."