What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

black stripe

copaaz

does anyone know how I implement the black strip on on this flag in the attached photo?

flag.gif

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
What attached photo?

Tom Mann

Guru
Are you asking how would one make a black stripe like the one in the photo that you posted in a different photo?

If that is the question, it's very easy. Simply use the pen tool to make a curve of the correct shape, and then stroke it.

if you want to make it look more realistic and less like it was painted on, put the stroke on it's on layer, and change the blending mode to overlay, softlight, or something similar, and adjust the opacity to taste.

Tom

Last edited:

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
sorry the one in my post.

Your word "implement" was making me scratch my head. I thought possibly there was another image that you failed to attach.
Follow TM's advice if that's what your asking.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's a quick example of the method Tom mentions.

Step 1. Set your Brush Tool to the right brush, width, and color you would like to use for the stroke.

Step 2. CREATE A NEW LAYER. Select your Pen Tool. Set to 'path'. Create a path line to the shape you desire.
(note: I'm showing this away from the edge for demo only)

Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 10.21.39 PM.png

Step 3. Right click and choose 'stroke path'.

Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 10.21.54 PM.png

Step 4. Set the tool option to brush and click OK.

Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 10.22.08 PM.png

Should look like this........

Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 10.23.17 PM.png

Step 5. Use your Pen Tool and create a selection at the ends of the stroke. After creating the path, right click and choose 'make a selection'.

Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 10.24.09 PM.png

Then hit delete.
Hit Cmd/Cntrl + D to deselect.

Repeat step 5 for the bottom of the stroke. (note: You can use other tools for step 5 as well as a mask)

Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 10.24.57 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Another method would be just creating a complete path using the Pen Tool.

ON A NEW LAYER, here is a selection created with the Pen Tool.........

Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 10.30.54 PM.png

Then simply fill the selection with black.

Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 10.31.05 PM.png

note: You could also set the Pen Tool to shape and set the shape fill color to black. Turn off the shape stroke.

Screen Shot 2014-12-23 at 10.53.40 PM.png

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
You could also do a combination of Sams excellent examples...

Draw a 'Single' path as in the first example but set the 'Pen' tool to 'Shape' instead of 'Path'...ignore the 'brush' settings.
As in the second example use 'Fill' and 'Stroke'....set 'Fill' to 'None' and 'Stroke' to whatever thickness you want....the default uses 'points' but you can enter a value in pixels if you want eg: 5px

With an 'open' shape you now have the option of changing the 'Align', 'Caps' and 'Corners' properties of the stroke...also the style of the stroke too....dotted, dashed, solid etc....not that this is needed in this case but...

The result should be the same, it just has a few more 'properties' to play with.

Regards.
MrTom.