What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Convert text to outlines

isb63

Hi. I am new here. This is my first post. I have Googled my problem, but have not found any real answer. If this has been asked and answered before, and I am sure it probably has--then my apologies.
I am just learning Photoshop. The heading to convert text to outlines is greyed out for me. It is not because I am missing that font, because I am using a font from PS. Does anyone know why this is greyed out? Is there a fix? Or, alternatively, is there a way to work around this? Thanks for all suggestions.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Hi isb63,
What Version of PS are you using?
Is the font using a faux bold? Is it just that one font or all? Open the Window/Character panel and see if bold is indicated-the T on the far left will be highlighted,,click it to turn it off.

Also..there is no such thing as a "font from PS". Fonts are stand alone entities with no program affiliation.

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
In almost any version of PS in the past 5 or more years (...not sure about "Elements"), the easiest way to get an outline of a letter is to use the "stroke" and "fill amount" functions on the "Layers Properties/Style" dialog box. You get to this by double clicking on the layer that contains the lettering of interest.

So, for example, here is an un-adorned letter:

Outline_of_letters-_0000_01-Just_the_basic_letter.jpg

Next, we turn on stroke using "Layer Properties / Style":

Layer_properties-screen_shot.jpg

To get this:

Outline_of_letters-_0001_02-Letter plus stroke.jpg

Then, we reduce "fill" to zero to get this:

Outline_of_letters-_0002_03-Just the stroke.jpg

HTH,

Tom M

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
PS - BTW, I did notice that you specifically asked about "convert to outlines", not how to add an outline. In the most recent version of PS, the most similar functions to what you asked are called, "Convert to Path", and "Convert to Shape". Both are under the "Type" menu.

Since it sounds like you are just getting your feet wet in PS, my guess is that you probably are not used to working with vector paths and shapes. That's why I provided a method to get outlines of lettering without using these more advanced concepts. OTOH, the advantage of using them is that they allow you to re-shape the letter, not just add a border around the edge of an existing font. If you do want the latter, just let us know and we'll be able to help you out.

HTH,

Tom M

ALB68

PS - BTW, I did notice that you specifically asked about "convert to outlines", not how to add an outline. In the most recent version of PS, the most similar functions to what you asked are called, "Convert to Path", and "Convert to Shape". Both are under the "Type" menu.

Since it sounds like you are just getting your feet wet in PS, my guess is that you probably are not used to working with vector paths and shapes. That's why I provided a method to get outlines of lettering without using these more advanced concepts. OTOH, the advantage of using them is that they allow you to re-shape the letter, not just add a border around the edge of an existing font. If you do want the latter, just let us know and we'll be able to help you out.

HTH,

Tom M

"Since it sounds like you are just getting your feet wet in PS, my guess is that you probably are not used to working with vector paths and shapes."
Why would you guess that? Many people have worked in programs such as Corel Draw or Ai. The terminology the OP uses "convert text to outlines" is most certainly Ai. My guess is that he wants to manipulate the text as he would be able to do in Ai.

Tom Mann

Guru
Since his post was in the "forum assistance and info" section (...and probably should be moved), he specifically stated that he's "just learning PS", and you also mentioned PS in your post, (ie, ...What Version of PS are you using?...), I went along with the flow and continued to assume that he is indeed working in PS. But you are right, his terminology is more AI-like, so I guess we'll see how he responds.

T

ALB68

Since his post was in the "forum assistance and info" section (...and probably should be moved), he specifically stated that he's "just learning PS", and you also mentioned PS in your post, (ie, ...What Version of PS are you using?...), I went along with the flow and continued to assume that he is indeed working in PS. But you are right, his terminology is more AI-like, so I guess we'll see how he responds.

T
I moved it. It's just second nature to me when paths and outlines come into the conversation that we are speaking of vectors. PS handles them as you know but without the capability of Ai. My immediate thought was that the OP knew where he wanted to go. OTOH you may be correct that what he meant was a stroke, which to me is more easily applied using the Fx function on the layer than your demonstrated method.