What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can't figure it out

copaaz

I can't for the life of me get the black stripe like on the image below onto my file. Can someone help me with this? I can't seem to upload my .psd file.

flag.gif

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
With your target file open, open the above image. Use a selection method of your choice, pen tool or other, select the parts you want. Switch to the target file and enter Ctrl/Cmd V and it will paste into a new layer. Is that what your wanting?

MrToM

Guru
Why are you asking this again?

Identical thread HERE

Regards.
MrTom.

copaaz

I took the advise from the first post and couldn't do it myself. I am asking if someone will complete this final step for me.

ALB68

@copaaz.... Please be specific. Do you mean ALB68's last part of his solution for you? Or something else you could have missed which is why you can't finish it?

Yeah..I'm lost here. Maybe I don't understand (or maybe We) don't understand. I see your image above with the flag in it..now..is there another image you are trying to place it in ??? If so, please post the image.

copaaz

Sorry for the confusion. I am trying to recreate the flag in that image I posted above. I have a template from the company that I am buying the flag from. I have the file pretty much done with the exception of the black stripe along the side of the flag. I am ok with photoshop but some things I am not. I have the .psd file however this website will not allow me to upload it. It is only 15MB so I'm not sure why.

ALB68

Sorry for the confusion. I am trying to recreate the flag in that image I posted above. I have a template from the company that I am buying the flag from. I have the file pretty much done with the exception of the black stripe along the side of the flag. I am ok with photoshop but some things I am not. I have the .psd file however this website will not allow me to upload it. It is only 15MB so I'm not sure why.

When you try to upload the file are you getting an error message or what? PSD files won't show as an image but they will upload. I just did one to see any errors and there was none. Try again

copaaz

I select file to upload and it looks as though it's uploading and then it stops uploading.

Adam Guard

A 15MB file is small to download but rather large to upload, depending on your internet speed. I've had similar problems online with image files over 6MB.
Can you reduce the image size to upload?-- Or is your internet having issues?

ALB68

Could be however I have 50MBS. I'll try again in the morning.

Yeah. now that might be a problem ..50mb upload. What are the pixel dimensions and the resolution? PS will tell you the size in Image/Size panel.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Perhaps I can give another suggestion?.....

I assume the flag shape you have is what's in your first image so I created a duplicate of it to use.....

flag_dv1.jpg

In the series of images in the gif is another way to create it. Pay attention to the layer palette and most especially the HISTORY tab which will also indicate what was done.

flag_dv.gif

Step 1 is to lock the transparent pixels of the flag layer. You'll need to do this as you will be filling the flag shape with black.

Step 2 - Duplicate the flag layer.

Step 3 - Click on the original flag layer to make it the active layer. Here is where you fill the shape with black. As you've locked the transparent areas of the layer in the first step, the black fill won't affect it.

Step 4 - Select the duplicate layer. With CTRL+T, transform the flag as shown.

Step 5 - Press CTRL and click the duplicate flag icon to select the shape in the layer.

Step 6 - Press CTRL+Shift+I to invert the selection.

Step 7 - Select the now black flag original layer and hit DELETE

Deselect the selection ants..... done.

copaaz

No it's not a 50MB upload. I have 50MB per second internet. My internet was not the problem. I don't what the issue was, but whatever. I linked directly to it so it's now there.

MrToM

Guru
I'd like to have the same black stripe that is running down the left side of the flag.
Which is exactly what you asked a week ago.

Your answer is in your own identical thread, HERE, and has been since Christmas eve.

MrTom.