What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how do I create this 3d shape

maxelcat

Hi all

I need to redraw this shape in photoshop. I started by created rounded rectangles, and moving one under the other.

However, I can't re-create the edges between the 2 squares so I expect I am going about it wrong!

I want to learn to do it myself really rather than ask someone else to do it.

I have tried 'creating 3d squares in photoshop' but all I get is how to make cubes, which isn't the same.

Any pointers please?

thanks

Edwardeewebsquare.jpg

MrToM

Guru
Do what you have done so far.......two rounded rectangle shapes each on its own layer.

[Optional]
Duplicate the back layer, (The darker one in your example image), and turn it OFF. (This is just for safe keeping)

Select the back layer and rasterize it.
Hold Ctrl and Click the layer thumbnail.
Select the 'Move' tool.

HOLD Ctrl + Alt and use the keyboard cursor keys to move the shape down 1 px, right 1 px, down 1 px, right 1 px,.....repeat till you get the depth you want.

Align the other layer to suit.

Regards.
MrTom.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
And just to add to what MrTom outlined.....

Select "protect transparency" of lower layer..... Use a large soft edged brush set to airbrush at a lower pressure and with a much darker color (or Set to Multiply). And darken the shadow area of the lower layer. Do this with one swiping motion so it will be uniform. Repeat if needed.

You can also use the burn tool.....

MrToM

Guru
Good point dv8 !

I missed that subtlety there.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrBlind.

PS...here's what I got using a gradient overlay...

cube_A_01.png

Last edited:

maxelcat

Here's what I got

its ok - why are the edges jagged though. I took a selection of the original image (above) and then filled it on a new layer?ee-web-logo-rework-2015.jpg

MrToM

Guru
Not sure I understand what you've done but it doesn't look like you followed the procedure I explained.

The edges of the 'extrusion' are not parallel which they would be if you did the 1px down, 1px right method.

Its not clear what you did as you've made the same sentence both a statement and a question.

Did you follow my method?

I don't know your workflow....ie, how you did things, so I can only guess that the 'jaggies' are a result that when you used 'transform' you didn't have the correct interpolation.

If you give us more detailed info on what you've done then maybe we can give you a more specific answer.

Regards.
MrTom.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Here's what I got

its ok - why are the edges jagged though. I took a selection of the original image (above) and then filled it on a new layer?View attachment 52053

We don't know how you created that but is the document set at 72ppi? Is that from a screen shot or a saved jpg of the psd?

With that resolution, edges may appear jagged most especially becoming evident when zoomed up close or the result of enlarging the rasterized shapes in the document.

Selecting the "protect transparency" icon in the layers pallet of the duplicate shape layer then filling the object with darker color assures better results rather than filling a selection.

maxelcat

Hi - apologies for the vagueness of my last post. My attached image with jggies is a 'save for web jpg 50%' from the psd.

I did follow your method - more or less. Rasterize was grayed out so I couldn't do that bit. I moved each layer 3px by 1px to get the gradient I wanted.

However, the jaggies appeared on the first layer I created - let me explain

Here's what I did.

My original image is around 800px square. So I took a selection of the inner square on the original using the magic wand tool, created a new layer and filled it. I wanted to get same dimensions etc for the 'square'

Then I filled it with the colour and the jaggies were there.

So the jaggies were there from early on int he work flow

Does the attached help?

Thanks for your time

jaggies.jpg

MrToM

Guru
Give me 20 mins and I'll do you a video of how I did mine......just doing lunch.

Be right back.

Regards.
MrTom.

MrToM

Guru
Here ya go...

[video=youtube_share;y-J-JEspTX4]http://youtu.be/y-J-JEspTX4[/video]

Any questions just ask, some things may not be obvious.

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MrTom you need to invest in a good microphone so you can explain what your doing. You could also add written instructions if you don't want to talk. This could be hard for some to follow.

MrToM

Guru
Jeeeez....

Sorry if I spent my lunch hour planning, executing, recording, editing, uploading and posting something above and beyond what's expected to help someone out just to present a shoddy piece of sub-standard tabloid trash.

I have sent myself to stand in the corner of the room until the end of play and have also reprimanded myself severely with the wrong end of a piece of cheese I found earlier whilst trying to entice a penguin out from behind the filing cabinet.

I won't let it happen again.

Until next time.

Regards.
Your most obedient servant.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MrTom, I truly apologize.............that's not how I meant it. Foot in mouth problem this morning.

I can assure you...........won't happen again!

MrToM

Guru
...MrTom, I truly apologize...
LOL...no need for that mate....I'm only playin' with ya!

I know I should really throw some audio on these things....I'll look into getting a mic soon.

You may take your foot out now.

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I realize your playing with me, but that's no excuse for me to not explain myself better. My post did sound bad and for that I apologize.

Your contributions here are more than appreciated and I never meant to sound as though I were alienating your efforts, and it did. I often forget how some of my posts may sound, I try to avoid this, but it sneaks in there from time to time. Thanks for keeping me on track!

maxelcat

Hi - am back from my college course. Looking at your video now - for which I thank you greatly! It was indeed, beyond the call of duty for that I thank you! Seriously

maxelcat

ok - its the bit where you press a lot of buttons very quick that gets me...

I press ctrl+alt+downarrow my ole screen rotates upside down. I know what I am trying to acheive - but its not working

Guess I am pressing the wrong buttons...

MrToM

Guru
ok - its the bit where you press a lot of buttons very quick that gets me...
For this to work you need to have a selection.

You may have missed it, sorry, but right after 'Rasterizing' the layer I CTRL + CLICK the layer THUMBNAIL.
This makes the selection of all the pixels on that layer.

Holding Ctrl + Alt and then using the down and right cursor keys with a selection effectively copies the selction and moves it at the same time.....within the same layer.

Try that again with a selection.....it should work.

Sorry the video wasn't clear enough.

Regards.
MrTom.