What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

creating curved squares

gautamz07

Power User
Hey Guys , hows u all doing ? good afternoon from india :D
I have a small difficulty with an image i came accross the web

hostalite_banners-03.jpg

now if you look closely the squares that have text on them , they are not exactly flat , rather they are kind of curved on the edges , i tried adding a drop shadow and doing skew , perspective etc . but could't really figure out how to get the curved shape .

if somebody can just vaguely describe to me how should i go about creating such awesome squares it would be great . no need to post or something :D :D , if someone can just give me a fair idea , i'll try it and post the result .

Thanks .

Gautam,

Attachments

• gautam.png
    gautam.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 17
  • gautam.png
    gautam.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 17

MrToM

Guru
Hi gautam,

Looks like a gradient overlay to me.

Use the layer styles to add a gradient overlay......use the bottom sliders of the gradient to set the colour and the top sliders to set opacity. You can also change the angle of the gradient to match that of the examples.

A simple way to set this up would be to set both colours of the gradient to a light grey and then use the opacity to set the gradient.....rather than using a light grey to white.

This way it won't matter what colour the square is you can apply the same gradient to any coloured square you like.

If you need more detailed instructions just ask.

Regards.
MrTom.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
If you were using the earlier PS line, you can't do that.

But with the CS line, use the Shape tool. In the settings menu, you can adjust the corner curves to your liking. Take note.... it's not like you can adjust the curve after the shape is created. You have to first set the curve corners before creating. It's a matter of trial and error to get the look you want.

I don't have any of my Photoshop apps installed so I can't show you exactly where it is and how to go about it......

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Hold on.... I think I get what you mean.....

The shapes in the image are small to discern but if it's the edges you mean, they looked beveled to me. Create and use the pillow emboss setting in the Inner BEVEL effect style. Make sure to unclick "Use Global Lighting".

Add a shadow effect layer to the shape layer to complete the look.

gautamz07

Power User
MrTom worked right out of the Box , Thank u so much . @Div8_fx , thanks for dropping by too :D , and i'll try ur technique :))

My-Shadow.jpg

not sure how good this is but , looks ok to me :p

Thanks again .

MrToM

Guru
Excellent!

You could even go slightly lighter with the grey but even so.....looking good!

Regards.
MrTom.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you add a bit of a bevel and emboss, you can make it look even better.
I also used the Warp transform function to make the curl look believable.

Screen Shot 2015-01-06 at 9.48.54 AM.png