What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to do a screen-shot?

Rich54

Guru
In many of these PSG threads, the responder will post a screen-shot of their Photoshop workspace to illustrate the technique they're trying to explain. How does one do a screen-shot? I'm guessing it involves the Shift>PrintScreen key on my keyboard, but then where or what do I paste the image into?

MrToM

Guru
If you are on windows then its just 'Print Screen'....or is it Shift too...???? cant remember...whatever....

This puts the shot into the 'clipboard' where of course you can paste it straight into photoshop.....if its open.

If not, open PS, minimise it, take your screen shot then back in PS use File > New.

You should find the 'new' document is already set to the size of the screen shot so click OK and paste.

If that fails there are lots of 'free' apps out there that do screen shots.....but you don't really need anything more than 'print screen' to be honest.

If you need to take just a small part of the screen instead of the whole thing then I have written an app for windows that does just that.
If you want to try it I'll make it available here.

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
On a mac you hit shift + command + 4

Then you can click and drag a box around the area of the image you want to demonstrate.

Screen Shot 2015-01-18 at 3.55.19 PM.png

Rich54

Guru
I'm on Windows. I just tried Mr. Tom's directions, which worked perfectly. Thanks.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
I'm on Windows. I just tried Mr. Tom's directions, which worked perfectly. Thanks.

Do you see this little icon in your bottom tray? Just click it and drag out the selection.
screnshot.PNG

Hoogle

Guru
To be honest I dont use print screen function I do however use the built in windows tool called snippet just type it in the search bar on the start menu and it will come up if you use it a lot then pin it to taskbar

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
To be honest I dont use print screen function I do however use the built in windows tool called snippet just type it in the search bar on the start menu and it will come up if you use it a lot then pin it to taskbar

Isn't that what I just showed in the previous post? Your command will make it appear.

Hoogle

Guru
Yes, it is the same tool, but by default it is not normally on the toolbar and having the name of it makes it a lot easier to find.

Viewtiful

In Windows, you can also capture a specific Window/application/dialog box, by holding down Alt then Print Screen, which could save you having to edit anything out. Afterwhich you can paste the capture into a document, into an email, into Paint...

In Windows 7/8 you do as has been mentioned, have the "Snipping Tool", which can capture specific windows and also allow you to capture specific areas on a screen too. Afterwhich you can save the capture.

Last edited:

MikeMc

McGuru
I'm with hoogle....Pin that to your taskbar, click it, outline , and save the capture. (you might want to name it...default is "capture")

This is in Windows 7 and 8

Last edited: