What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drop shadow for colour fill layer won't crop along edges....

hutchisg

I keep running into this problem, I'm using Photoshop CS6.

What happens is I'm using a colour fill layer in a rendering and I’ve applied a drop shadow. The shadow somehow is being applied to the outside edges of the page where there is nothing to shadow, so there will be grey/black on 2 sides of the image, as if the colour exists outside of the page… the only way I’ve gotten rid of them is by cropping the page and unchecking the “delete cropped pixles” box. That’s fine initially, but when I open up the file again the shadows are back on the edges… it’s making me bananas.

I attached an image below of what it looks like, layer example, etc.
Shadow Edge.JPG Drop shadow.JPGToolbar.JPG
Please help!!

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
I tried to duplicate the line your seeing with this in PS CC 2014 and it did not appear. May be something simple but it's not jumping out at me. Can you post an image of your layers panel showing the structure of the whole file?
colorfill.PNG

Last edited:

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
FYI I also tried it in CS6 and saw no line there either.

MrToM

Guru
I can't replicate it either but I do notice my color fill layer icon is different....is this because mine is the CS6 extended version?

trees_A_01.png

Whatever, the result is the same.

Regards.
MrTom.

hutchisg

Here's a shot of the layers. This is from a different file, same issue (newer looking icons). I don't know if it's always the case, but I have cropped the file after creating the fill layers... not sure if that effects it.

tool.JPG

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Oooooohhh yes......it affects it BIG TIME!

When you crop it you have two choices.....either leave the outstanding pixels intact....or delete them.

If you delet them you effectively cut a 'hole' in the original....there are still pixels 'OUTSIDE' the canvas which are not visible.
This 'hole' will of course receive the dropshadow....and that is what you are seeing.

When you crop it, choose NOT to delete the cropped pixels.
You'll find the option at the top of the workspace when using the 'crop' tool.

Regards.
MrTom.

hutchisg

When you crop it, choose NOT to delete the cropped pixels.
You'll find the option at the top of the workspace when using the 'crop' tool.

That's what I have been doing to get around it, but when I open up a file to re-edit it the shadow returns... so I pretty-much have to crop the file every time I open it. Perhaps it's because I already cropped it initially with the checked 'delete cropped pixels' box...?

MrToM

Guru
Saving and re-opening is fine for me....how are you saving it?

You should save it as a layered PSD.

Regards.
MrTom.

hutchisg

Saving and re-opening is fine for me....how are you saving it?

You should save it as a layered PSD.

Yup, that's how I save it. So moving forward I know what to do... I'll just have to deal with the cropping with the old files each open?

MrToM

Guru
'Curiouser and curiouser!' cried Alice.

If you can post a sample psd file that you know opens incorrectly for you we can see if it also opens incorrectly for us.

If it does then a solution may be found, otherwise I'm a bit stuck as to what else to suggest.

Regards.
MrTom.