What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black silhouette has gray trim that requires removal. Assistance Requested.

Dino

BlackBassWithGrayOutlineTransparentBackground.pngBlackBassWithGrayOutlineBlackBackground.pngThe attached picture is the black silhouette of a bass with transparent background (on its layer) but when I isolated it and did a background eraser a remnant of gray outline remains in many areas of the picture (this can be seen by turning on the black layer also in the file). I have tried to do additional color eraser to no avail. Can someone help me get this gray gone and leave only the black on the layer. I would like to know what tools and techniques you use as well. Your help is appreciated.
Heck I cant get the .psd to attach so I added i made examples below the first with the outline and transparent background looks good but when you put it on a black background (image2) you see the outlines in gray that I want to get rid of or turn black. Either way the goal would be when I turn on the black background the fish should disappear.
Thanks,
DinoBlackBassWithGrayOutlineTransparentBackground.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I would open the Bass file with the transparent background and duplicate it once.
Merge the two images back into one. This will darken the placks.

Then open a layer style by double clicking the layer.
Under blending options, choose the right hand slider in the "This Layer" blend if..............set to 142 or so.

This will clean it right up.

Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 10.22.23 PM.png

MrToM

Guru
There may be a better way with the original PSD file but with the image provided you could try this...

1. Set Image mode to 'Greyscale' (Image > Mode > Greyscale ...discard Colour Info)
2. Set Image mode to 'Bitmap' (Image > Mode > Bitmap ...Use 50% threshold)

Even quicker than that would be...
1. Add a 'Posterize' adjustment layer and set the value to 2.

Not as clean but certainly quicker.

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited: