What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding a drawn image in to a photo

PhotoshopNovice

Hi guys,

First post so if it's a really obvious question then apologies! Using Photoshop Elements 13 currently - did a short Photoshop course last year for the basics but feel free to talk to me like an idiot! :)

Recently returned from Australia - one of the photos we took has a cloud shadow that looks (a tiny bit!) like the outline of Australia. I want to put an outline of a map of Australia over the cloud and write the names of a few places we went on it so it looks like a map. I traced round a map of Australia and tried to put it over the top of the cloud shadow, but can't make it work properly. Ideally it'd be see-through so it was literally the outline and the original photo still visible in the background.

If this makes any sense then any advice would be welcome! :)
Thanks x

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Hi PS Novice
Put your cloud on one layer. Make a new layer and draw the outline. That's it. The top layer will be transparent and allow the cloud below should be visible.

PhotoshopNovice

Thank you so much for the reply! I was trying to do it the layer way (as I couldn't think how else) but it just won't work :-( I must be doing something wrong, I'll keep trying!!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Take this PNG (transparent) file and place it above your cloud layer.

australia_outline.png

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Thank you so much for the reply! I was trying to do it the layer way (as I couldn't think how else) but it just won't work :-( I must be doing something wrong, I'll keep trying!!
You have to be sure your upper layer is transparent. Sam has given you an image here that already has a transparent background. When you make a new layer though it should automatically be transparent. Draw on it with a color and you should still see your cloud on the lower layer.

PhotoshopNovice

I think I've done it! Probably pretty badly, but I've done something! Thank you so much for you help! I've tried to post a copy to show you but it won't let me at the moment - seems I'm having a bad photo day today!!