What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crop-Sizing Jewelry items

qwerky

Tired of Trial & Error efforts. There must be a precise method. e.g. : Cropping-Sizing a 1.5" diameter disk into a 2" x 3" rectangle @ 240ppi - the final file size. I've set the grid to 1" with 8 sub-divisions...therefore gridlines at 1/8" H. & V. Messed with that way too long. Please help. Mac 10.6.8 PS CS3 ...please no snickering :naughty:

Thanks,
qwerky

MrToM

Guru
Snickering?

Us?

Never......LOL. (You didn't say anything about not LOL-ing)

We'll need the most important piece of information before we can start with this...what are the pixel dimensions of the overall image and of the circle?

Also, what is the ultimate goal for the image?
Web only?
Print only?
Web and print?

If you could supply that info then we can sort something out for you....snicker free.

Regards.
MrTom.

qwerky

186_Bronze Disk in Sterling.jpgi Tom,

Now that's refreshing.....The Brits - Higgins, Pickering, Tom, et al, know the difference between a laugh and a snicker......like "over here, (usa) English hasn't been heard for years" LOL

The finished specs: 2"x3" x 240 ppi (480 x 720). primarily for my website and possibly for print (greeting cards/gallery use. For web purposes I'll just resize them to 72 ppi and file them into a "Web" folder.....and off to the webmaster.

I don't have a pixel size for the 1.5" disk (a pendant). The original raw out of my Sony RX-100 is the pendant lying on a large sheet of dark grey background paper. This is not a composite.

Thanks Tom,

qwerky

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
Right.....lets do this in 2 parts....web and print.

A: For Web.
1. Forget all about resolution, ppi, dpi, mfi, mph, tnt.....ya get the point?
2. Pixels are the main thing for web....an image will be the same on a web page regardless of whether its 72ppi, 1ppi or 3000ppi.....makes no difference.....forget it.

B. For Print.
1. You have a finite number of pixels....in this case, 480x720px and setting a resolution of 240ppi gives you a print size of 2"x3"...so far so good.

C. (Ok, 3 parts)
1. I'm now assuming that you want to do 'something' with 'B' so that the 'pendant' ends up being a 1.5" diameter circle when printed on the page...is that correct?

Is that the problem?
How to re-size so that the pendant is that size but the overall image stays 2"x3"....ie, cropped to 2"x3"....?

I may have totally lost the plot here but then again I'm not actually convinced I fully understood the question to begin with...sorry.

If you can just clarify exactly what it is you are trying to do I'm sure we crack this before dawn.

Regards.
MrTom.

qwerky

clarify exactly what it is you are trying to do: Is there a tool, a procedure in PS to crop an out-of-camera image - the image being a large area (backdrop) with a pendant near the center - given that the desired crop shall be 2"x3" @ 240 ppi, and the pendant disk to be 1.5" in diameter? When the resulting crop is printed, the pendant is 1.5" ....full scale of the real item....very important in jewelry presentation & sales.

I've accomplished the above (see attachment) with numerous crop & delete, crop & delete until I hit the two parameters 2x3 & 1.5... wasted time considering that I have many items to present.

Back to "Is there a tool(s) a procedure........."?

"Yes" to your point "C" and the sentence immediately below it. Ditto for the next item, an irregular shaped pendant 1" in length : therefore a cropped rectangle 2x3 with a 1" long pendant (Full Scale) on the 2x3 field. Times 30 or 40 items.

I've used the rulers top & left side ( in inches) & set 1" grid lines with 8 secondary grid lines, therefore each square = 1/8". But after dragging a proposed coping fence, that doesn't tell me how large the jewelry piece will be if I tap the "Crop" button. Crop/Delete,crop/Delete...ugh!!!

Q.