What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Determing the extent to which Photoshop has been used in editing an image

Llewelyn

A proposal has been made at my camera club that: 'Entries (images) must be 80% the original work of the entrant for club competitions. The proposal goes on to say that the 80% is for when Photoshop or other software is used to edit images in producing snow or other 'effects'. I don't believe you can determine the extent to which image editing software has been used let alone detemine a percentage for it. Would anybody like to comment?

inkpad.t

Guru
Personally if you photoshop an image that no one has seen... and your skillful enough to edit, add and remove objects, or add more images to it, change it from day to night , summer to winter, so on and so on , then the average person looking at the image would most likely not notice. BUT if you not skilful enough then it will show. If your image is the same as everybody else as a group task then someone would possibly be able to say how much they think the original image has been changed, but that again unless you're a pro with a trained eye could be hard to say to what extent its been changed if your very skillful.

The obvious factor would be changing/adding to much to the image. subtle changes can make a great deal of change, just one curves adjustment can change an image dramatically. I dare say that some one on here can shed more light on your question.

Llewelyn

Thanks for responding ibclare.

Not necessarily, but could you with any certainty anyway say how much editing had been applied? And to a percentage? To me, even if it were possible, it would presumably require considerable forensic expertise. Something far beyond the capabilities and pocket of small town camera club. If you can't prove or enforce it, why have it as a rule. Things can get too serious.

Love your cat by the way.

MikeMc

McGuru
Thanks for responding ibclare.

Not necessarily, but could you with any certainty anyway say how much editing had been applied? And to a percentage? To me, even if it were possible, it would presumably require considerable forensic expertise. Something far beyond the capabilities and pocket of small town camera club. If you can't prove or enforce it, why have it as a rule. Things can get too serious.

Love your cat by the way.

then to keep it simple, both the unedited and the tweaked versions need to be put side by side, let the judges decide, decisions are final

Llewelyn

Thanks inkpad.t

But could anybody with certainty express changes in terms of a percentage? Lets suppose I add some snowflakes to a snow scene, then add a blur layer over all the image and finish off with a vignette. How do I weight each of those operations to arrive at a percentage? To take it stage further, let's suppose I flattened the image so the original no longer existed as layers?

Llewelyn

Thanks MikeMc

I believe in keeping things simple and shall vote against he proposed rule. If one is good enough to enhance a photograph and come up with a winning photograph I can't see why it matters how much Photoshop was used.