What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PS Document size question 11x17 Poster

KG29

Hi Folks,

I'm ready for printing but don't understand the correct sizing in PS,Staples uses Publisher so they can't help on the file size. When trying the 11x17 Dimension poster size I get a small thumbnail box,After zooming to 3200 and copying everything over it's awful & fuzy.

11x17poster_zps2eba9811.jpg
11x17thumbnail_zps0c9dbb8b.jpg
11x173200_zpsda006996.jpg

3200%^^^

Not really sure how to figure out the correct Height x Width or what's wrong.

any help is greatly appreciated:)

Last edited:
Can you do a couple of things for us?

1. Change the status bar to display 'Document Dimensions' instead of 'Document Sizes'......its far more useful.
2. Post another screen shot of the 'Image Size' window....Image > Image Size along with the status bar.

I'm guessing you use Windows by the look of the screen shots and a version of PS above CS6 but if you could see your way to supplying that info too it would really help.

Thanks.

Regards.
MrTom.

Can you do a couple of things for us?

1. Change the status bar to display 'Document Dimensions' instead of 'Document Sizes'......its far more useful.
2. Post another screen shot of the 'Image Size' window....Image > Image Size along with the status bar.

I'm guessing you use Windows by the look of the screen shots and a version of PS above CS6 but if you could see your way to supplying that info too it would really help.

Thanks.

Regards.
MrTom.

Hi,

I'm not sure the correct method to changing Document Dimensions, but here's my image size. I'm also using windows with CS6

imagesiz_zps3343d3d1.jpg

So the size should really only be 11x17 or 23x48 and not 1100x1700,that's what I thought the issue was.

Well, your image [according to that screen shot] is only 11px wide by 17px high......no wonder you cant see it at 100% LOL.....so....

What you should have is a document dimension of 3300x5100px (11x300, 17x300)....a bit of a difference eh?

If this is a 'new' document, which I think it is, then with regards that Image Size window:
1. Under 'Document Size' change 'Centimeters' to 'Inches'.
2. Change Width to '11'.....the Height should auto change to '17'.

Leave everything else as it is in that screen shot.

What you should find is that the image is now 3300x5100px.

As this is a 'blank' document the re-sampling method isn't that important.....Bicubic Automatic is fine.

I'm not sure exactly why your 'New Document' didn't give you this result when you created it but at least this will get you to where you wanted to be.

BTW, the settings you had for your 'New Document' looked fine so it maybe some other 'preference' setting that set the document size to 11pixels instead of 11 inches.

I'll see if I can replicate it and let you know...but don't hold your breath.

Regards.
MrTom.

PS....

11x17thumbnail_zps0c9dbb8b_MT.png

Last edited:
Don't forget to take the bleed into account.

Well, your image [according to that screen shot] is only 11px wide by 17px high......no wonder you cant see it at 100% LOL.....so....

What you should have is a document dimension of 3300x5100px (11x300, 17x300)....a bit of a difference eh?

If this is a 'new' document, which I think it is, then with regards that Image Size window:
1. Under 'Document Size' change 'Centimeters' to 'Inches'.
2. Change Width to '11'.....the Height should auto change to '17'.

Leave everything else as it is in that screen shot.

What you should find is that the image is now 3300x5100px.

As this is a 'blank' document the re-sampling method isn't that important.....Bicubic Automatic is fine.

I'm not sure exactly why your 'New Document' didn't give you this result when you created it but at least this will get you to where you wanted to be.

BTW, the settings you had for your 'New Document' looked fine so it maybe some other 'preference' setting that set the document size to 11pixels instead of 11 inches.

I'll see if I can replicate it and let you know...but don't hold your breath.

Regards.
MrTom.

PS....

View attachment 52746

Thanks so much:)

I changed to Inches and have these results
imagesiz_zps3343d3d1.jpg

11x17imagesize_zpsefc20cbd.jpg

11x17inc_zps844ae101.jpg

Now regarding the poster, I've seen peoples work usually has a (2") white boarder around everything. Is this something I should also practice I'm still very new to PS and Print using services like staples. As you can imagine they can't help because they use publisher so these message boards are my best advice.

Attachments

• 11x173200_zpsda006996.jpg
    11x173200_zpsda006996.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Check with whoever is going to print it.

They should have at the very least a specification of their requirements for your image on their website, if not a downloadable template for you to use to make sure your images fit within their specs.

If they don't supply either of these then you'd be better off finding someone who does.

Regards.
MrTom.

Back