What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Printing Graphics onto T-Shirt

Dino

I am planning to print this attached graphic onto a tshirt on the front pocket area as a logo. When I put this logo onto the template and begin to pull the handles out to increase the size the image and text seems to pixilate and look somewhat poor. Any help keeping the text and graphic sharp would be appreciated. I plan to print this on a white t-shirt so I added a yellow oval with a little texture and border shading as well. If anyone wants to take a stab at making the background cooler (different color or texture, maybe even a fade would be welcome as examples). If you play with this and do any work posting up the .psd file for me to work from following your help would be appreciated. One other thing that is bugging me but that has been elusive is how might I drop the gray shadow text that falls underneath the web url? Even if I hide the text the shadow seemd to remain on the yellow oval. I will be posting a picture I have worked on for the back of this shirt in a seperate post as well.
Thanks,
Joe

Attachments

• FLH TShirt_Chest.psd
    1.1 MB · Views: 5

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Hi Dino,
If this is going on a pocket it only needs to be 3.5" wide. At 175 ppi Vista Print is requesting the yellow background needs to be 3.5 x 175 = 612 pixels wide with proportionate height. The whole plate is 4" wide at 175 ppi. You need to resize the yellow using Ctrl + T and enter the pixel dimension for the width and click the link icon so the height is proportional.
I can't tell much about the drop shadow on the text as I don't have the fonts that were used. The text should not be an issue to resize as it still exists as type and is a vector in PS.
Is this the shadow your speaking of?
shadow.PNG

Dino

Hi Dino,
If this is going on a pocket it only needs to be 3.5" wide. At 175 ppi Vista Print is requesting the yellow background needs to be 3.5 x 175 = 612 pixels wide with proportionate height. The whole plate is 4" wide at 175 ppi. You need to resize the yellow using Ctrl + T and enter the pixel dimension for the width and click the link icon so the height is proportional.
Got this part, I can do control T or select the layer and drag it to the correct size. Control T is mor precise no doubt.

Hi Dino,
I can't tell much about the drop shadow on the text as I don't have the fonts that were used. The text should not be an issue to resize as it still exists as type and is a vector in PS.
Is this the shadow your speaking of?
View attachment 52872
As I play with it more I am not sure it is a shadow as much as some kind of reminant from a previous fill event. If you turn off the text and/or fish and move them the gray shadow remains where it is now. If you turn the text or graphic off it remains there as well. I guess I can touch up the yellow area pretty easily with teh clone stamp on this when I get everything else locked down and ready to print.

The most pressing issue seems to still be to me that the graphic (and text I beleive) loses it's quality look (AKA pixelates) as I enlarge it to fill the suggested size. Any advice how to rectify that?

ALB68

"As I play with it more I am not sure it is a shadow as much as some kind of reminant from a previous fill event. If you turn off the text and/or fish and move them the gray shadow remains where it is now. If you turn the text or graphic off it remains there as well. I guess I can touch up the yellow area pretty easily with teh clone stamp on this when I get everything else locked down and ready to print."
Exactly what I thought. Yes, use your clone tool to repair it.

The most pressing issue seems to still be to me that the graphic (and text I beleive) loses it's quality look (AKA pixelates) as I enlarge it to fill the suggested size. Any advice how to rectify that?
Did you resize by using Ctrl + T ? or did you drag it out? There may be an issue because the text has been fitted to a path. However, with as small as this will be and also on a textile I doubt a small amount of pixelation would be problematic. You can always rebuild the text . It appears that the text has had some effects applied and are now rasterized, such as the black stroke, therin lies the cause of the pixelation.

Dino

"As I play with it more I am not sure it is a shadow as much as some kind of reminant from a previous fill event. If you turn off the text and/or fish and move them the gray shadow remains where it is now. If you turn the text or graphic off it remains there as well. I guess I can touch up the yellow area pretty easily with teh clone stamp on this when I get everything else locked down and ready to print."
Exactly what I thought. Yes, use your clone tool to repair it.
I will do that. thanks.

Did you resize by using Ctrl + T ? or did you drag it out? There may be an issue because the text has been fitted to a path. However, with as small as this will be and also on a textile I doubt a small amount of pixelation would be problematic. You can always rebuild the text . It appears that the text has had some effects applied and are now rasterized, such as the black stroke, therin lies the cause of the pixelation.
I did a drag but if Ctrl-T is prefferable I can try that as well.
What do you mean by I can always rebuild the text? Are you meaning place new text type it up at the corect size, apply the blending options which I like and just start completely over?
The text has had some blending done but I did not realize it would rasterize it and cause pixelation.

I Ctrl-T sized everything and I beleive the output is acceptable.

Thanks

ALB68

What do you mean by I can always rebuild the text? Are you meaning place new text type it up at the corect size, apply the blending options which I like and just start completely over?
The text has had some blending done but I did not realize it would rasterize it and cause pixelation.

I Ctrl-T sized everything and I beleive the output is acceptable.

Notice that no effects are showing for the text such as a stroke or drop shadow. The text definitely has both. That tells me they have been converted to raster images which are susceptible to pixelation. Start over if necessary,,that's all I'm saying. Always an option. You lost information somewhere there by rasterizing the effects.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
To get rid of the grey.......

Turn off all layers except the yellow layer.
Tun off the effects of the yellow layer an you will find the grey.
Screen Shot 2015-02-03 at 10.23.57 PM.png

Sample the yellow color.
Cmd/Cntrl + click the thumbnail to make a selection.
Screen Shot 2015-02-03 at 10.25.42 PM.png

Fill the selection with yellow. Cmd/Contrl + D to deselect.
Screen Shot 2015-02-03 at 10.25.53 PM.png

Turn the effects and layers back on.
Screen Shot 2015-02-03 at 10.26.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-02-03 at 10.26.41 PM.png

Dino

Thanks very much guys for all the help on this.
I think I have this logi just like I want it.
Now I have to print it and see how it turns out.

-Joe D.