What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question: Appearance after Merging group.

SPWA

Power User
Hey everyone, I'm still busy learning bits & bobs. Haven't been posting a lot recently but I have a question about something that is foxing me. I will use the below Bubble image as an example.

If I make an image using (in most cases) multiple layers, but my end goal is to have a single layer png with transparent background. I find when I merge the group, the end result never looks like the original, and no amount of blending fixes it. Am I missing something simple, or is that just the way it is.?

Bubble.png

The bubble isn't merged with the bg, just merged into it's own layer, but as you can see the difference however subtle is still different.

Just as an extra note. I even tried exporting to png, instead of merging, but the loaded png has the same result.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Grant. Great to see you!

Can you upload your example images to see if I/we can replicate your problem?

How are you merging? Merge down, merge visible, or flatten image? Does it happen when you stamp visible? (Shift + Cmd/Cntrl + Alt/Opt + E)

SPWA

Power User
Hi Sam, thx. I 1st tried merge layers, then I grouped them and tried merge group.

I will upload the PSD, it will be better to experiment with. The bg is just a blurred shape, as I was using it to gauge transparency.

Attachments

• Bubble.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 6

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just to let you know I haven't forgotten about this.

This is very odd. Still working on it!

There are major differences in the bubble after a merge.
This is the bubble only.

Screen Shot 2015-02-07 at 8.26.20 AM.png

SCTRWD

Power User
You have a group of layers of different blend modes and Opacity values.
There is no way to merge them to one layer with the same result. One layer simply can't have different blend modes :cry:

Next. You can't save the layer with other then "Normal" blend mode without bg to png file and expect it to behave like in PS. PNG does not support blend modes.:cry: PS will simply change the blend mode to Normal while saving it to PNG.

thebestcpu

Guru
+1 SCTRWD

So as I understand from you post, if you have the Layer Group in Normal instead of Pass Through mode (or other blend mode), make all Layer effects as you desire, then subsequently Merging the group will yield the same result as with the Group intact.

Your explanation makes perfect sense to me. Thanks

SPWA

Power User
You have a group of layers of different blend modes and Opacity values.

That is true & was my biggest suspicion as to the problem. So, I either have to find a solution, or just live with a blend mode after merging that fits closest to the original.