What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

image looks bad when exported

Andy Andy

i'm very happy with the way my project looks inside photoshop - but it looks like completely different whenever I export it :frown:

before/after shot: http://i.imgur.com/Z4hfUqg.png

www.photoshopgurus.com.png

yes, the image is clear when exported; however the intended glow effect is super rough and doesn't blend properly. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately when saving as a png it is hard for photoshop to do semi transparent pixels, However if you go to save for web and go through some of the presets there you may find a better output than just using the save as png option

if you go to save for web and go through some of the presets there you may find a better output than just using the save as png option
had a quick run through all the 'save for web' presets. dither or no dither - it doesn't help the blending :(
transparency checked

Last edited:
How did you isolate the person? Or create the glow? I notice faint white pixels along the edges of the left side of face and shirt on the PS screengrab.

Depending on your PS version, make sure to select "Preserve Transparency" in the Save to Web option.

How did you isolate the person? Or create the glow? I notice faint white pixels along the edges of the left side of face and shirt on the PS screengrab.

Depending on your PS version, make sure to select "Preserve Transparency" in the Save to Web option.
i used the manual selection tool and zoomed in like crazy, and just cut as much out as possible.
The glow was created from [layer/layer styles/outside glow]

perhaps i should be using the selection tool with smoothing to achieve a smooth outline. Instead of trying to use outside glow to clean up my rough cropping. Inside glow seems to have good blending but the outline needs to be better for the get-go: http://i.imgur.com/6106nIO.png

www.photoshopgurus.com.png

running photoshop cs6. i'm using the default presets for 'save for web' Mainly png24 - transparency is checked.

ty for your response

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Andy
What you see may be quite normal. To test this out just place a white background behind your image in PS and see what it looks like. My bet is that it will look exactly as your PNG over a white background.
That's my guess anyways.
John

hmm..interesting.i will try it
o.png

To me it looks like the 'Technique' is set to 'precise' instead of 'Softer'.....perchance...?

MT_precise_A_01.png

If not then a screen shot of the layer style settings for your 'Outer Glow' would be really useful....and that goes for the layers panel too.

I'm assuming that the image saves out OK.....the transparency is there, its just not what you expected and that this is an 'Outer Glow' settings issue....right?

Regards.
MrTom.

What you see may be quite normal. John
I'm assuming that the image saves out OK.....the transparency is there, its just not what you expected and that this is an 'Outer Glow' settings issue....right?
correct... sadly this effect is far from what i wanted.
To me it looks like the 'Technique' is set to 'precise' instead of 'Softer'
changing it to softer and expanding elements/size settings - photoshop exported better results:
http://i.imgur.com/5PaUVOf.png

a screen shot of the... [layers panel could be of use]
Save to web/transparency checkbox is checked. Also, 'preserve transparency' OR 'LockTransparentPixels(for cs6/LayersPanel)' is another setting I tried switching on and off. It didn't seem to make any difference:
http://i.imgur.com/I605Jxg.png
I say my layers panel is all set to default... the reality is I've never even touched them :redface:

thanks for your help so far. Using 'softer' glow seems to be the trick. If there's any other tricks I'll be very keen to know!

Back