What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible to add a Custom Pattern to Outerglow?

wolverine77

Hello all,

I'm a bit of a PS newbie, but I was wondering, is it possible to add a custom Pattern to use for Outerglow?

For instance, if there was a specific pattern, let's call it a polka dot pattern that I have custom created, is it possible to somehow import this into Outerglow and select this?

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance!

MrToM

Guru
AFAIK, not directly.

You could however create a layer from the 'Outer Glow', create a mask from that and use it to mask another layer with the pattern applied...

outerglow_pattern_A_01.png

Is that the sort of thing?

Regards.
MrTom.

wolverine77

Thanks for the reply. Sounds promising. Would you mind elaborating a little further as to how I could go about doing this?

Sorry, not really PS proficient.

Thanks!

(p.s. I have to run for a bit, but will check back at the end of the day -- thanks again!)

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
No worries.....I just wanted to make sure I was on the right lines before committing to a lengthy 4 hour tutorial....ya know?

[With the layer to which the 'OuterGlow' fx is applied selected...]
1. Right click the 'fx' icon on the right of the layer.
2. Select 'Create Layer'.
3. With this new 'OuterGlow' layer selected set its opacity to 0 (Zero) or just turn it off altogether.
4. Ctrl + Click this layers THUMBNAIL.
5. Select the layer BELOW this layer.
6. Use Layer > New Fill Layer > Pattern [Checkbox=Unchecked, Mode=Normal, Opacity=100%]
7. Click 'OK'.
8. Select your 'Pattern'.

If you need the option to change the pattern afterwards then there is another way to do this, if not, this is easiest.

That should be it.

Any problems just ask.

Regards.
MrTom.

MrToM

Guru
Just to 'visualize' the above...

NON-EDITABLE PATTERN: [No Audio]
[video=youtube_share;AuSHXq8e-HE]http://youtu.be/AuSHXq8e-HE[/video]

EDITABLE PATTERN: [No Audio]
[video=youtube_share;oDzER7lBfTI]http://youtu.be/oDzER7lBfTI[/video]

Regards.
MrTom.

Last edited:

wolverine77

Mr. Tom, I just tried this out and it works perfectly.

You are the man! Thank you so much for taking time out to post instructions, really appreciate it.