What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with removing background from GLASS terrariums

Samuel Normandeau

Hey there,

I have been working at this problem for a while and still haven't found a good solution, so here goes:

I am starting a new business making terrariums and am starting to take product shots to build my website. I am trying to take the photo of a few terrariums (glass container with plants in it), remove the background and put it over a new background layer of a forest scene. After about 4 hours of trial and error (and much manual outline selection) I got to the .gif attachment you see below, it's grainy and there is not good colour detail.

I sometimes found it hard to take clear photos of the plants inside the terrariums because there was a lot of glare on the glass. I have 4 background colour options: blue, red, white and black. I opted for the red because I thought it would be the most contrasting with the contents of the terrarium.

What would be the best way to remove the background and to achieve this?

DSC_8879.JPGDSC_8952.JPGDSC_8952otraisolated.gifforest in fog 2 pan export.jpg

Tom Mann

Guru
You are asking for help with product photography, but the problem is that this can be one of the most technically demanding forms of photography, especially, if you want to "do it right". Because of this, good product photographers can command high payments for their services. In places like NYC, people will apprentice for a year or two under an established product photographer before they would dream to do such work for others, so don't expect to immediately produce high quality images

In your post, you brought up several issues. Let me try to address them one by one.

1. Grain / noise, lack of color detail:

I'm sorry to have to be harsh, but do you really expect to produce good quality photos from one of the earliest Nikon DSLRs. It was introduced in 2008, ie, 7 years ago. To make matter worse, you shot the main photo at ISO = 1600, so, of course you are going to see grain. In addition, you shot it using a very inexpensive, older kit lens using inappropriate settings (completely wide open at f/3.5 and 1/400th of a second), so, of course the resolution will be poor and the depth of field will be extremely thin.

If I were you, and I had no other option but to use that camera, that lens, and use ambient lighting (ie, instead of flash), I would re-shoot it at the lowest ISO on the camera (probably 100), and and f-stop around f/11. Of course, this will require a much longer exposure, but that's what tripods are for. Try it, and I guarantee you that you will see a huge improvement in the quality of your starting image. If you want even higher quality, and you can put a bit of money into the project, for a day, rent a modern camera, say, at least a d700 and a macro lens (either the Nikon 105/2.8 or the Nikon 60 mm), your images will take another step up in quality.

2. Troubling reflections:

There are well established techniques to do this, but they all rely on artificial lighting (either strobes or hot lights). You just don't have the level of control that you need with ambient light.

For an absolutely excellent introduction to this, pick up a copy of this (inexpensive) book from Amazon and read it cover to cover. It's the bible of this field:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0240812255/

One of the very best methods to reduce specular reflections from glass in product shots is to use sheets of polarizer film over your lights, and a polarizing filter in front of your camera lens. I only had time to do a quick search for you, and found a description of this technique on the website of one the major, most widely respected mfgrs of polarizing sheet, Rosco Labs:
https://www.rosco.com/technotes/filters/technote6.html

With a bit more searching, I'm sure you will be able to find tutorials on the subject. In addition to the photography of shiny objects, the crossed polarizer technique is one of the most common methods used by on-staff museum photographers to photograph paintings (eg, for catalogs, reproductions, archiving and indexing purposes, etc.). The cost of the polarizing film for your lights is surprisingly low.

3. Fixing the above problems in post production and making the composite you requested:

There are several sayings that come to mind, but the first is "it's useless to close the barn door after the animals have escaped", LOL. My recommendation is that before you embark on a post-production "fix", you at least re-shoot the terrarium using the settings I suggested above.

The next issue that comes to mind is that if you want to have the result look like the woods actually were in back of the terrarium, you have to realize that terrarium will act like a lens and distort the woods that you want to appear to be behind it. If you don't do this, the effect just won't be convincing. There are tutorials on doing this, but IMHO, it takes a good bit of practice to make this look believable. If you need to get something done quickly, my suggestion would be to make it an obvious composite, and not try (at least at the moment) to try for realism.

Attachments

• forest_in_fog_2_pan_export-tjm01-acr-ps03a_sRGB_composite_cropped_text-01.jpg
    forest_in_fog_2_pan_export-tjm01-acr-ps03a_sRGB_composite_cropped_text-01.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 28

MikeMc

McGuru
I like Toms thoughtful answer...Perfect!

I chuckle as when I was learning photography (silver halide days) Shooting a crystal goblet with different backgrounds consumed about 20 rolls of pan-X and hours of setup at darkroom time....I must say polarized light will make a major difference, low ISO , LOTS of light, get some cards to remove reflected images from the glass surface...AND when you get the setup right...very little post processing will be needed.

Good Luck !

Tom Mann

Guru
Hey, Mike - It sounds like we went through the same boot camp, LOL!

Compared to shooting a bunch of test shots, developing them, and then going back and tweaking the lights and flags, I felt like I died and went to hog heaven when I got a Polaroid back for my view camera and could get instant feedback, particularly, to identify all the little glints that you don't catch on the ground glass. Nowdays, instant feedback is the norm. These kids just don't know what it's like to have to walk to school in a blizzard, uphill both ways, LOL.

BTW, speaking about unwanted glints, you ought to try lighting two spit polished, gleaming fire engines for a night shot. Of course, their shooting budget wouldn't allow for a major production with lots of lights, so what I did was something that would have been almost impossible in the old days, and cost almost nothing.

I sat the camera on my most stable tripod, and had my assistant walk in front of the vehicles carrying a little hot-shoe strobe (triggered by a Pocket Wizard) up on top of a 7 or 8 foot light pole. I had her walk from right to left, always keeping about 20 feet away from the nearest point on the vehicles. I took individual exposures about every 10 feet as she walked R to L, and put all 20 or so shots on separate layers in PS. Each layer was set to "lighten" blending mode so that all the shadows (including the silhouette of my assistant) were beautifully lifted and gave incredibly uniform lighting -- almost like I was using a hundred foot wide studio strip softbox.

Of course, there were lots of glints from all the different lighting positions, but the nice thing was that if a glint was there in one of the exposures, it was almost always gone in the neighboring shots, so all I had to do was paint the glints out using layer masks. It probably took me less than an hour to do this, and they loved the result. It's now being used as the masthead for their stationary, as a banner, etc. It would have cost a small fortune to light this the old-fashioned way.

Cheers,

T

Last edited:

MikeMc

McGuru
Painting with strobes....Fun with automobile shots too !!!

I do miss the old polaroid shots.....I cannot say I liked FIXING Polaroids...the SX70 still haunts me.

Tom Mann

Guru
Yup, it was light painting, but with a difference. Instead of keeping the shutter open like in the old days, they were all separate exposures & separate layers. The amount of additional control/ flexibility that provides is wonderful beyond words. The only downside is that when u are working with 20 or 30 high Rez real layers, each with a mask, and each with a couple of adjustment layers, u can use up RAM like crazy, so u better have a decent sized machine.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited: