What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How would you do this in Photoshop?

Rich54

Guru
This illustration appeared in today's NY Times Sunday Magazine. I've been trying all afternoon to achieve the same effect in Photoshop using the photo of Charlotte Rampling (sigh!) as an example, but having no luck. When I looked closer at the NY Times article I noticed that the credits say "artwork by Michael Mapes; photograph of artwork by Stephen Lewis", so it appears that Michael Mapes may have actually cut a printed photograph into a thousand circles and stuck pins into each one. But still, it seems like this ought to be do-able in Photoshop.

My idea was to create a custom brush of several roundish shapes and then use scattering and shape dynamics to randomly scatter circular shapes across the photo, create a clipping mask from that, and add the white strokes that are present in most of the circles. (I was going to worry about the push-pins later.) But that didn't work at all... all I did was create an amorphous blob rather than hundreds of individual cirles. Now I'm not sure how to approach this without actually creating each circle one at a time, which would take forever. I'm going to keep plugging away, but I thought this might make a good challenge to see if anyone can re-create the effect.

Mapes.jpgcharlotte.jpg

Rich54

Guru
Thanks. I have to go out for the rest of the day, but I'll look at these links tomorrow.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Using a custom brush with a highlight you could create something similar to the art.

This is a quick example..

Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 4.45.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-02-15 at 4.52.28 PM.png

Last edited: