What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I don't know if this is even possible but I can sure use some help :)

owenowen1000

Hey guys, I registered to this forum specifically seeking help for this one photoshop project. For this photo, I want to change the colour of each water droplet so that I can produce a rainbow effect using all the water drops. If someone can provide a tutorial/link, I would greatly appreciate it!

IMG_3368_zpshsegpkav.jpg

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This can be done by isolating and selecting the droplets via a layer mask. I used the Brush Tool.
The colors can then be added using clipped solid color overlay adjustment layers and using their masks to create the 'rainbow effect.

Here I just used 3 differing solid color overlay adjustment layers, Yellow, Red, and Blue.

Screen Shot 2015-02-22 at 12.45.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-02-22 at 12.48.03 AM.png

Tom Mann

Guru
The individual methods that Sam used in the previous post are very important to know both separately, and in the combination that he used. For example, his method can be easily modified to superimpose the colors from an actual picture (eg, a flag, not just big, featureless blocks of color) onto stars (...or snow flakes or water droplets, or whatever...).

So, for the example below, I wanted to start with an open source photo of stars taken by the Hubble:

stars-color_determined_by_flag_layer-ps01a-01_Hubble_stars-xnv_698px_for_web.jpg

...and superimpose the colors of the American flag:

stars-color_determined_by_flag_layer-ps01a-02_Flag_used-xnv_698px_wide-for_web.jpg

I did this by using the following very simple layer structure that is exactly analogous to what Sam used, ie, the "color control layer" (the flag) clipped to the areas selected in the starting image:

layers2.jpg

About the only difference from Sam's approach was that since I wanted more vivid colors, I used the "Hard light" layer blending mode (instead of "Overlay"), and set all opacities to 100% (instead of Sam's 28%)

The result is:

stars-color_determined_by_flag_layer-ps01a-03_result-xnv_698px_wide-for_web.jpg

HTH,

Tom M

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great idea Tom, not sure how it will work with the image the OP provided. Can you provide us with and example using the shower droplets?

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Sam - The reason I didn't do it with the image provided by the OP is that the more detail there is in the color source (eg, the flag), the more droplets you need to resolve it. Basically, I didn't think there were enough droplets in his photo to resolve something as complicated as the flag very well, but I wanted to emphasize the generality of the method you taught, so I switched to using a star field.

T