What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tutorial on distorted text?

TonyCooper

Can you point me to a tutorial on distorting text in PS CC 2014?

I've been asked, by a friend, to do a postcard like project that uses photos
behind text as done in the image attached of a billboard here in town. The
word is "FAIR", not "Orlando" as in the sign.

I know how to create the open text letters and all the other steps of this
type of project, but I don't know how to distort the text letters similar to
what is done here.

I've played around with putting each letter on a layer and trying to
distort them, but haven't had much luck in getting what I want.

Not asking for it to be done. Teach me how or point me to a tutorial,
please.

Last edited by a moderator:

TonyCooper

2015-02-28-S.jpg

Not having uploaded an image here before, I'm not sure
I've done this right. Use the link if this is not sufficient.

TonyCooper

Here's some tutorials on images within text: https://www.google.com/#q=Photoshop+images+within+text

Here are some tutorials on making 3D text: https://www.google.com/#q=Photoshop+3d+text

Not sure what you mean by distorting. Here are some tutorials on distorting text: https://www.google.com/#q=Photoshop+distorting++text

I don't know which is more difficult: distorting the letters or explaining what I want to do.

I did this very quick and dirty just to show that I know how to put an image behind an open text
letter. The stoke's too wide and rasterizing made it jagged, but this is for example purpose.

R.jpg

Compare that "R", though, to the letters in the billboard. The billboard letters are not a
font available; they are distorted and rounded letters that allow more of the image to show
through without the need to make the letters larger.

All the tutorials I've found are on how to warp a line of text. I know how to do that. I want
to warp or distort an individual letter...pull it out of shape and create a new shape.

Each letter will be placed on a different layer and superimposed on the adjacent layers (as
in the billboard). An adjustment mask will be used to accomplish the overlying parts.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Place a letter on it's own layer.

Screen Shot 2015-03-03 at 11.53.25 AM.png

Use the free transform or the Liquify filter to distort.....
Screen Shot 2015-03-03 at 11.54.04 AM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
One other thing I would like to add, the Orlando text was probably hand drawn. You can do the same but it will be a challenge.

Hand draw the text, scan it into a digital image, open in Photoshop and trace it out with the Pen Tool.

Trying to get multiple letters as in the word "FAIR" to appear the same by distorting them one at a time, might be difficult.

TonyCooper

One other thing I would like to add, the Orlando text was probably hand drawn. You can do the same but it will be a challenge.

Hand draw the text, scan it into a digital image, open in Photoshop and trace it out with the Pen Tool.

Trying to get multiple letters as in the word "FAIR" to appear the same by distorting them one at a time, might be difficult.

My skills as an artist and hand-drawing are extremely limited.

I'm fairly proficient in PS, but mostly in the processing of images. Changing heads, taking people or things
out of images, putting people or things in images...the usual layer mask tricks...are easy enough for me.

Working with text, though, is not in my skill set, and the pen tool is my nemesis. I'll work on it, though.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

Rich54

Guru
Another suggestion is to download a font that resembles what you want. There are several websites (such as DAFONT.com) where you can download hundreds of free fonts. You may find something that looks just like the Orlando font, or you may stumble across something you like better. In DAFONT.com, check out the categories of Cartoon or Comic fonts. Several of them have a lot of "open space" for the underlying image to show through.