What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

deleting a selection

saeedeh

I want to delete a selection from background. I select a part of picture with one on selection tool. then I insert delete from keyboard. but every time a fill page appear and there is not any option in fill for deleting that selection. I want to remove selection that no pattern or color be replaced.

MrToM

Guru
You need to unlock the layer...

If you are on a later version of PS then just click the 'padlock' on the layer.

Earlier versions require either holding 'Alt' or some other method...I forget which, its been a while.

Just search for 'unlocking background layer' if neither of the above work for you.

Regards.
MrTom.

gedstar

Guru
Is this what your trying to do, if so all I did was make a selection with the rectangle marquee tool or whatever selection tool you like and hit the delete or backspace key, hitting shift + backspace will bring up the Fill dialogue option

View attachment 53780

saeedeh

Is this what your trying to do, if so all I did was make a selection with the rectangle marquee tool or whatever selection tool you like and hit the delete or backspace key, hitting shift + backspace will bring up the Fill dialogue option

no, I only hit the delete and this happened.

gedstar

Guru
OK are you saying that when you hit the delete key you get the Fill Dialogue option instead of the selection been deleted like this

View attachment 53781

Can you tell us what OS you have and version of Photoshop would help, even a screenshot of what your doing in Photoshop, we really need more info in order to be able to help you

MrToM

Guru
@gedstar,

This was solved in post #2 mate......the OP was trying to delete a locked background layer.

I couldn't tell them how to unlock their background layer as they didn't say what PS version they were using but later in post #4 they indicated they knew how to unlock the background.....problem solved.

Regards.
MrTom.

saeedeh

thanks. yes problem was solved by unlocking the layer. but I should say that: OS is windows seven and PS version is cs 6

gedstar

Guru
@MrTom

I thought he was still having issues after unlocking the layer.

Cheers

Last edited:

MrToM

Guru
It was a bit of a vague acknowledgement I'll grant you.....I just read between the lines.....line.....words.....well, ya know.

For once It seems I read it right!

Regards.
MrTom.