What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retouch images or fake?

Hi guys, i really need all the help i can get - I’m really confused.

i have a customer who i take professional pictures for his jewelry. the customer insist that i will deliver the same quality as the pictures shown below.

i keep telling him that those images a not real, meaning they were never photographed rather they were created on the computer from the ground up.

My question is: are those pictures are real images or they were made on some software? if so, what software? what the whole process of creating fake item on the computer called?

thank you for all your help, as i mentioned earlier, i’m really confused.

RF5887_W_1.jpgRF5887_W_2.jpgRF5887_W_3.jpg

MrToM

Guru
I'd be inclined to agree with you....fake.....good fakes but fake none the less.

Things that give it away for me...

1. Its too perfect. There are no surface marks whatsoever apart from some dubious ones which just add to the 'fake' theory.

2. What's holding the thing upright? Even if this were a real photo it would need 'some' PS work to remove whatever keeps it from falling over....or rolling away.

3. Those minor blemishes that just don't make sense....the small dark triangle on the right at the bottom of the stones in image #1......for one.

4. The deal clincher...No Hallmark. If this were a precious metal it would need to be assayed. (It may not warrant an assay so it may even be a real photo of a fake ring...!!)

That's my 2¢ on it.

Regards.
MrTom.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
You know there are folks that specialize in nothing but working with photographed images of jewelry and preparing those photos for the catalogs etc. I am inclined to say that these are not produced in software but digital photos that have been manipulated in Photoshop to produce them. There was a thread here not long ago that was about that very subject. I'll see if I can locate it.

Here is the thread I was thinking of https://www.photoshopgurus.com/foru...d-help-diamond-retouch.html?highlight=jewelry

Last edited:

Tom Mann

Guru
I agree with MrTom and Larry, ALB68, that these are highly manipulated. My guess is that a good photo was taken into Adobe Illustrator (or possibly, PS), and tweaked from there.

Tom M

For the print-production of jewelry, it is a common technique to retouch the gems in Photoshop.

This means changing the contrast of the stones with the curves tool. And then sharpen the stones with unsharp masking.
In some cases this is not enough. You work with a second shot which was taken by the photographer with special lighting just for the diamonds.
With help of Photoshop you make a composite of the two images.

Because this is standard procedure I wouldn't call it a fake. It is actually the only way to satisfy the demanding clientele.

MikeMc

McGuru
Real....Fake.....Well that is in the customer's eyes. I suspect as stated a real piece of jewelry , enhanced with PS for catalogue perfection.

The correct answer is to see the real ring.......

ALB68

Why would it make any sense to create something like this in Photoshop ? Anyone selling a ring that had been created in such a manner would then have to have a jewelry maker replicate it from the image. I don't think it works that way, it's the other way around. A jewelry maker sits down and either designs the piece and then makes it, then it's photographed for the market. I guess what my point it is, that PS image would leave the jewelry maker out of the loop unless he created the design.

Last edited:

MikeMc

McGuru
Why would it make any sense to create something like this in Photoshop ? Anyone selling a ring that had been created in such a manner would then have to have a jewelry maker replicate it from the image. I don't think it works that way, it's the other way around. A jewelry maker sits down and either designs the piece and then makes it, then it's photographed for the market. I guess what my point it is, that PS image would leave the jewelry maker out of the loop unless he created the design.

My daughter (newly engaged) thought this was perfect....you can see the design before the ring was cast.....BEFORE the $$$ was spent....I suppose ?

ALB68

My daughter (newly engaged) thought this was perfect....you can see the design before the ring was cast.....BEFORE the $$$ was spent....I suppose ?

Live and learn I suppose.