What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refine Edge Problem

TonyCooper

Using CC2014, when I use the Quick Selection tool, and then
try to us Refine Edge and the Refine Radius brush, the brush
will not open. Instead, I get that circle with a slash where the
brush should be.

In the tutorials, the brush works. Not for me.

Simple setting error?

MrToM

Guru
I've tried all ways but cannot replicate your problem.

Can you post a screen-shot of the whole UI? (Or the PSD file if you can)

It's difficult to say whats happening without knowing what you've done up to this point.

Regards.
MrTom.

TonyCooper

I've tried all ways but cannot replicate your problem.

Can you post a screen-shot of the whole UI? (Or the PSD file if you can)

It's difficult to say whats happening without knowing what you've done up to this point.

Regards.
MrTom.

I thought of a screen shot, but the problem is that the brush as a circle with a slash goes
away when the screen shot is made.

I did a quick and dirty here with no slider adjustments and tried clicking on the brush icon.
I didn't use the minus setting to reduce the selected area to the left of the head just so
the selection area is shown on the screen shot.

Let me know if there's a screen shot set differently needed.

MrToM

Guru
Yeah that'll normally happen as cursors are on a different plane to the one that gets grabbed.....but no matter, the cursor isn't important....you've told us the problem.

What IS important is your layers, whats selected, what type of layer it is etc etc......hence why a screen-shot of the WHOLE UI is far more informative than a text description.

Like I said I couldn't replicate the problem...not with indexed colour, 16 bit, locked background....all the usual culprits but nothing would prevent the Brush Tool in Refine Edge from working....and I did try! LOL.

Regards.
MrTom.

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Try re-setting the tool. Just right click on the tool icon at the top of the page and click "Reset tool" . Might fix it , don't know but worth a shot.
(The Quick Select tool)

Last edited:

TonyCooper

I posted this question in the Adobe Forums and received a reply that corrected the problem.

The brushes will not work when "Show Original" is checked and when the Marching Ants
view is used. I unchecked "Show Original" and used a different view, and all is well.

I had watched several tutorials, and none covered these two points.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I posted this question in the Adobe Forums and received a reply that corrected the problem.

The brushes will not work when "Show Original" is checked and when the Marching Ants
view is used. I unchecked "Show Original" and used a different view, and all is well.

I had watched several tutorials, and none covered these two points.

Wrong, no matter what the view setting is, as long as "Show Original" is checked, the brush will not work.

A screen shot might have helped out here as you never stated that you had this setting checked.

Last edited: