What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Debluring a licence plate photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

JORDAN11

Hi guys and girls im wondering if anyone would be able to help me deblur the license plate on the orange car in the photo i have attached.
Any help would be much appreciated. thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeMc

McGuru
I ran it thru the legendary CSI filter set, and the Silver lancer 's plate is quite clear.

I suspect that you are looking for the tag of the orange ute...that will not come out. :redface:

I did turn it so others could see it, I cropped the foreground out on my working copy

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Mann

Guru
Well, it looks like you were near the Laurimar primary school on Montville St. in Doreen, but I can't make out the license plate of the orange truck, either, and I've got lots of sharpening tools at my disposal. The problem is that TV shows like CSI make lots of people think miracles can be performed in terms of zooming into a photo. Unfortunately, the sad truth is that no one can do this, except under extremely well controlled conditions using optics whose transfer function has been been well characterized in a state of the art lab. This is why when Hubble was first launched, and they discovered that the mirror was the wrong shape, they had to launch a fix-it mission costing zillions of $$$ instead of just fixing the images in software. Unfortunately, one can't do much with images from a hand-held random iPhone 6.

FYI, another question does raise its head: Why do you want to be ID that vehicle. As far as we know, you could be anything from an irate parent wanting to report some punk that blasted by the primary school at 90 mph just as the kids were being let out for the afternoon, or, you could equally well be some weirdo that wants to look up where one of the little kids or the cute mom that drives that truck lives. Because of the latter possibility, we are a bit wary about helping people modify or even just read anyone else's official government document, license plate, etc.

Anyway, sorry we couldn't help you. If you have a complaint about that driver, I suggest you turn it over to your local police and let them take it from there. Between the color and model of the truck, as well as being able to read a couple of characters of the plate, if the case is sufficiently important to the cops, my guess is that it would be absolutely no problem for them to ID it.

Good luck,

Tom M

JORDAN11

The car was involved in a hit and run outside the school and the police cant identify the number plate. so just thought i would try here.

Tom Mann

Guru
I can read several of the characters. Give me the name, address and phone number of the police agency that is handling the case, along with the name of the officer in charge of the investigation and his/her government email address, and I'll be happy to pass the info directly to them.

Hopefully the injuries weren't too bad.

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
In case people are interested, the OP sent me the contact info for the local police by private message. Later today, I'll send them the characters of the license plate that I can make out.

Tom M

Tom Mann

Guru
Because the OP didn't realize that the photo he posted contained metadata that could allow members of the public to identify him as a witness, and because this is a police matter, he asked me to remove the photo he posted, as well as Mike's tweaked version, and I am closing the thread.

Tom M

Status
Not open for further replies.