What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Band Lyric Edits

tumblr_nelakpOCxr1rt4suoo1_500.jpgSo for the first picture as well as the second, how do you all blend the textures onto the words well because I mask it on or clip the texture onto the text and it always turns out bad which is what I did in the third picture, I darken the texture and duplicate the texture and clip that on the text so it is lighter and it still looks odd especially when I apply blending modes. Now I did obviously rush on cutting out the person, but I usually use the quick selection tool so it still looks a bit off, so is the eraser tool better to use as shown in the fourth photo to get the girl cut out perfectly? And those are my questions, about the texture of the text and how to blend it and how to cut out specific parts of artwork of an album cover well and how to wrap anything around the text such as locks as in the second picture, so I really need help on answering those questions because no matter what I do, it turns out like the 3rd picture. I need steps and pictures so I can see your workflow and how you all do these lyric edits, thankyou! tumblr_nfapm91qD31s25izqo1_r1_500.png
(Right click on the photo right next to this, the little icon so you can open and see the image)
B_wCCDGUsAAbE6w.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
....how do you all blend the textures onto the words well because I mask it on or clip the texture onto the text and it always turns out bad which is what I did in the third picture, I darken the texture and duplicate the texture and clip that on the text so it is lighter and it still looks odd especially when I apply blending modes.....

I'm not sure I understand what your asking. You seem to have the texture affixed to the letters in the first 2 images. What do you mean by blend?

Are you wanting to make the texture more pronounced?

Last edited:
Yes I just want to do exactly what is in the examples and could you do it for me step by step like you helped me a long time ago with the similar lyric banners for northlane? And after that I want to know how to wrap locks or other things around the words like that.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Again, not sure what your needing because we have covered clipping masks in use with text.................not sure what your having a trouble with.

Here is a quick example that I made.
It has texture over the background as well as texture on the text.
I also changed the color of one letter while leaving the texture.

Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 7.20.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 7.20.39 PM.png

Please explain what your needing help with. Sorry.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Adding a pad lock is very simple.

All you have to do is place the lock on the image where you want it.

Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 10.30.55 PM.png

Add a layer mask to the Pad Lock layer and use the Brush Tool to remove the part of the lock hasp you don't want to show, ie. the part that goes around the letter.

Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 10.44.30 PM.png

Then create a new layer below the Pad Lock layer and make a selection of the lock, hit Cmd/Cntrl + I to invert the selection and use the
Brush Tool to create a shadow on the letter.

Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 10.32.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 10.29.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 10.42.47 PM.png

Last edited:

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
@Iseestarsnewdemons ....

I suggest you use a different font - a bolder type minus an outline but a bit narrower like in your first 2 samples - with a slight shadow added behind it. This will make the lyrics and texture pop out more. With the present thin typeface you used on your work, the texture is unnoticeable.

Notice Sam's font choice.... more surface area for the texture to show. Even if it was just color text with lowered layer opacity to expose details of the background image or texture, it has a greater contrasting effect on the entire image.