What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

translucent/gradient effect overlay

gautamz07

Power User
Hey guys , i'am not sure if my title is right LOL .

Please have a look at the below image :

image.jpg

see those 3 images that have a orinange-gish effect , how was that effect created ? i know this is something really simple . but i just need to make it look professional , so just wanted to know whats the best way to do it ?

if somebody can just tell me a few things i could try , i'll go and try it and be back ! .

Thank you.

Gautam .

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Gautam, none of the three lower images have a orange-ish effect other than the banners.

Screen Shot 2015-03-21 at 10.47.40 PM.png

Is this what your referring to?

gautamz07

Power User
IamSam , noo :) ,

actually if u look at the picture there is a dark overly , from the bottom of the picture , it goes from dark black to transparent .. i don't know if i am being clear enough .

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
OK, now that we have established what your needing, here is one way to accomplish the effect.

Take your image....
Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 9.40.14 AM.png

On a new layer above your image, add a black to transparent gradient to the image from the bottom to the top.....
Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 9.40.28 AM.png

Lower it's opacity..........
Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 9.40.41 AM.png

Add a layer mask to the gradient layer.
Select your Brush Tool. Lower its flow and opacity.
Select the layer mask, with the brush, remove the gradient from the areas you wish to be exposed.
Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 9.40.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 10.03.19 AM.png

Last edited:

gautamz07

Power User
IamSam thanks :) , tats an easy and neat approach , actually somehow i feel the pictures have a oringish overlay , let me demonstrate that with a picture .

Untitled.jpg

I have highly exaggerated the effect though i guess :D

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There's not an orange-ish effect in the example you posted, sorry. Your seeing the effect of the orange banner (and the last girls orange shirt) fooling your eye into thinking there's orange there.

Take a look with the banners neutralized......
Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 8.46.01 PM.png

But if that's what you see, then hopefully I've helped you out.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
But if you insist, you can use a Hue & Sat layer to bring out a more 'orange' color in the image....

Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 8.50.10 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not trying to correct you at all. It may be the difference in our monitors as well. I definitely see what you may be talking about, but the effect goes away when I cover the banners.

If you like the effect, then that's what is important to me!

Here, I have added the banner to the image and slightly boosted the orange in the image with the Hue & Sat adjustment layer.

Looks a bit over satted, but it's OK.

Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 9.10.48 PM.png

gautamz07

Power User
I like the effect , i still prefer ur 1st technique of gradient overlay on a new layer though .
thanks I .... AM ...... SAM :D :D

Tom Mann

Guru
@gautamz07 - I agree with you that there is an orange cast to the images. It is probably most unambiguous in that the highlights in the three small images are not pure white but have a slight warm cast. With your last effort using the orange gradient layer, you are on the right track to matching it, but you have a bit more to go.

My guess is that in each of the images the overall look was achieved by a combination of techniques:

1. A warm / orangish initial overall color balance (eg, using ACR or any of several other methods);

2. An orange layer, completely filled, not a gradient, and certainly not set to 100%, but set to a much lower opacity and/or a different blend mode; and,

3. A separate gradient to darken the bottoms of the pix (not quite as exaggerated as you show).

HTH,

Tom M

Last edited:

gautamz07

Power User
Tommann , highly appreciate your inputs , espically ur 1st point seems quite interesting .

i will definitly try this . :)

Thanks .