What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gradient Tool 'Replacing, But' Not 'Adding'

Brian Soto

I'm going through a tutorial where we're using a technique that employs the use of the basic gradient tool to cover parts of a layer mask. From what I can tell, the instructor in the video is using a default black to white gradient. The problem I'm having is that he keep using the gradient tool to build up the area with several applications and angles. When I try to do that, my gradient application is 'replaced' by any following uses, instead of adding to it. Obviously I could just manually paint over the one gradient application with a big soft brush, but I wanted to know why mine replaces instead of adds. I've searched settings, but nothing sticks out. Any ideas?
GRAD_SAMPLE_zpshtvsqelu.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi Brian and welcome to PSG. I moved your thread to the General Photoshop Board.

Is there a chance you could post the link to the tutorial, it may help in uncovering the problem.

Brian Soto

Sam, thanks for moving this. As soon as I saw I was posting it in Photography I fired off a bunch of messages to admins and mods to report my newbie troubles.

Re: Video. I can't unfortunately, as it's Michael Woloszynowicz's 'The Complete Guide to Fashion & Beauty Photography', available for purchase only. But this shouldn;t be hard to replicate. You literally just make a layer mask on any image, leaving it white. Then choose your gradient tool, and drag on the mask layer. If you can keep dragging the tool at different angles, and it builds up, then you don't have my problem. But if each time you drag, it replaces the first use, you're having my issue.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not a problem.

I would suspect that you should be using the foreground to transparent gradient preset. Try that an see if that helps.

Tom Mann

Guru
Another trick that I use when I want to add to a gradient, especially on a layer mask is to set the gradient to either the darken or lighten blend mode (instead of the normal blend mode), depending on exactly what you want to accomplish.

Tom M

PS - Oh, and obviously, other gradient blending modes such as multiply, screen, linear burn, etc. can also be useful in that each gives different effects, but, to be honest, I use them only occasionally with gradients, as most of the time the above modes plus gradient-to-transparency satisfies most of my needs.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Tom. I forget about the blending modes on the gradient tool. I often use multiply with the black and white foreground to background preset.

Tom Mann

Guru
And, here's a visual of the different darkening blending modes. Even more fun awaits if u throw in all the rest of the blending modes.

T

Gradients_and_blend_modes-1.gif

Brian Soto

Thanks for this, guys. I got it. IAmSam was right, I just had to find it. I found out that in the Gradient Tool options dialog I wasn't selecting the top color selector over the gradient bar, which makes the Opacity option available, which you then turn down to 0% to get the effect of color to transparent, which in turn allows multiple applications of the gradient tool. Knowing is half the battle. Cheers.